• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

is it best for a writer to stick to one or two genres?

JCFarnham

Auror
I didn't go that far at all. My first post on the first page said that writers can cross genres. Some will get more from it than others. I was only saying that they risk over-extending themselves, and responding to your suggestion that it would be best universally if we did.

It's cool to see someone else who's studied Marketing, though. Hats off to you.

Oh hey, sorry If that came off wrong though Devor. I guess I was playing devil's advocate there for a second :) No harm meant.

Maybe the growth one could get from trying something out of ones comfort zone out weighs the risk? Even if you decide said step didn't work out and redouble your efforts on your main area of interest thats something I think. It shows up strengths and weaknesses if anything.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Maybe the growth one could get from trying something out of ones comfort zone out weighs the risk? Even if you decide said step didn't work out and redouble your efforts on your main area of interest thats something I think. It shows up strengths and weaknesses if anything.

If we're talking about a short story or small project, especially one which is focused on the writer's weaknesses, then absolutely. Fantasy in particular has a lot of elements which can hide or cause a reader to overlook some aspects of an author's bad writing, so I would agree that a fantasy writer in particular could learn a lot by writing a bit without those "crutch" elements. I don't think managing large projects in separate genres would be worth it to more than a small handful of writers, though. That's especially true because so many fantasy writers have to tell their stories across several books just to build an audience, leaving the author much less time for other works.

I look at it this way. I write software, which does have a creative element, I write fiction (scifi and fantasy mainly), I've played the guitar...and toyed with a dozen other instruments, I can rip my computers apart and put them back together almost in my sleep. These things are not all the same, although I do admit that for any one skill you have to dedicate time to it, lots of it. But i don't see a difference in writing fantasy and writing scifi as using different skills. It would be kind of like the difference between country music and rock, the style is different, but you still use the same chords. The instrument doesn't change, only the style.

I think the only thing really holding anyone back is themselves. You get out what you put in. If you think you can only do one style, then that's all you will be able to do. If you only have an interest in one style, then that's not quite the same.

So if you like more than one style (genre) of writing, then try them all. If you like them all, then you'll probably have to find one you like more if you wish to specialize. Still, I find it hard to believe that the skills to write a story in fantasy would fail to be useful in writing another genre as well.

V

Voldermort

So I was just wondering, is it best for a writer to stick to one, maybe 2 genres or does it not usually make a difference?

I am of the opinion that sticking to one genre REALLY helps you become a great writer. It's the old competency argument.

The only problem with it is that it does narrow your vision. So a second genre helps overcome that.

Definitely the worst thing to do is keep flip flopping between many genres and half-finished stories, which will get you nowhere forever.

Yukinara

Dreamer
oh really? to me, cross genre is a perfect tool to expand my novel. I just finished the first book and now I look back, I have around 5-6 genres inside, my book is action/adventure with romance and on scifi/fantasy setting. I agree with the idea that genre is just a box which authors can pick from and classify their novels and we are supposed to get out of it.

Helen

Inkling
oh really? to me, cross genre is a perfect tool to expand my novel. I just finished the first book and now I look back, I have around 5-6 genres inside, my book is action/adventure with romance and on scifi/fantasy setting. I agree with the idea that genre is just a box which authors can pick from and classify their novels and we are supposed to get out of it.

Are you sure this isn't just scifi?

Like Star Wars is action adventure with a romance in it.

Or Flash Gordon is action adventure with a romance in it.

Yukinara

Dreamer
in my novel, scifi is just a setting, it is not hard scifi and I don't focus too much to explain things like galaxy, etc, I keep the story strictly to personal feeling.

Jess A

Archmage
Hmm.

I write across various genres as a hobby, but all of them have an element of 'fantasy' to them. For example, I might be writing about espionage, but I might still have a bit of fantasy around. I vary from modern-day to sci-fi to historical fantasy, and to mixes of all three!

However, for my novel, which I hope to publish, I am sticking to 'medieval fantasy'. There may be a tiny element of sci-fi, but it'll be no more than a hint.

SeverinR

Vala
I can see myself writing in Fantasy as my primary, suspense (with minor magical element), childrens books.
But I don't see a parent reading a blood filled novel and offering their child a book by the same author.

If you have a publisher, you might have to start a new search for one in the other genre, if your primary or first can't find one in their organization. Some publishers don't do all genres.

If you can right interesting stuff in all genres, why not?

Actually, as a challenge, why not push your abilities and try to write outside your box? Almost nothing you serious write is a waste, it is an experience.

Jess A

Archmage
If you refer to writing various genres (in different novels), then use a pseudonym.

Robin Hobb also writes as Megan Lindholm.

Nora Roberts also writes as J. D. Robb.