• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Italics For Thought

teacup

Auror
I don't think there is much anyone can say against talking via mental link and using italics, other than to use speech marks, in some people's preference.

The point I am making is that I think that it is possible to use a deep POV and also these direct internal thoughts (which I just prefer to use italics for) effectively in the prose. I believe I do this quite well, as I don't use the direct thoughts here there and everywhere, but only where I feel it effective and in a case where the character would be placing that certain thought above all else.
Example: A person might think about a man killing his parents, the man's features, his parents screams, the revenge he wants, and the actual man he wants revenge on. All of these thoughts can be shown via a deep POV, but, say for example I wanted the character to really be fixated on the killer above all else, I can have him think directly of the killer in italics.

Basically, I'm trying to use a deep POV but with some internal monologue as italics for certain effects and to make certain thoughts stand out as being at the very front of the character's mind, rather than using internal monologues for near every thought.

Please, argue this all you like. I'd like to see people's thoughts on if there's anything wrong with doing it in this way.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I'd like to see people's thoughts on if there's anything wrong with doing it in this way.

And, when you share these thoughts, please do so in italics so it's easier to differentiate.

:)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Daichungak

Minstrel
In the case of telepathic communication I find it easiest to understand, and would use myself if needed, the <telepathic thought here> approach. This is the hardest to confuse and when you have dialog being spoken and dialog being thought between several characters avoiding confusion will be a challenge.

Plus the angle bracket put the image in my mind of a turbaned county fair psychic touching her head and closing her eyes to read a fortune. :)