• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

It's been a year!

I'm so very happy to report that my PC is finally back up and running.
How did it die? Well, my house blew up! Literally.

Long story short, we were at work, babysitter (my dad) is a smoker, he was out on the back porch, as smoking inside is a nope nope, tossed his butt down and the ground blew up. Taking the back wall off the floor joists!
Huge fire etc. It was an underground gas leak, on a line the gas company had been out to inspect for leaks about a weekish prior! Yeah, super NOT impressed with Consumers. I refused to pay my final bill because... they blew my house up. Told them they can take it as part of my damages due for their Stuff up.

We lost pretty much everything. However, no humans were injured. So, I will take it.
My then 3 yr old was home at the time, the worst of the fire was right along the wall where we had just days before placed his new big boy bed. This happened about 25 mins before "bedtime."
Cue a mad dash of trying to figure out wtf we were going to do now...

Almost a year later I finally got my pc to start. It wouldn't up until now. :(
I thought I had lost all my work on the new book. I did lose all the research and physical files. But that's ok, I was just getting into the lesser-known archeological aspects so meh. But losing all but the 3 chapters I had posted here would have hurt my soul.
The fire department apparently hosed everything, my laptop included... thank goodness it was not plugged in nor turned on at the time!

A new chippy thingy and I'm back. :)

We are still technically "homeless" but we are all safe. Gizmo is getting big, and he's happy. He misses the RV because we were parked on a friend's land where he had 40 acres he could run basically wild on and no one gave a crap so long as he came back when called. He got used to being feral. LOL It got cold, it is Michigan after all, that's kinda what happens so we shifted to a motel. The adults are about sick of each other, but that's to be expected when you stack atop one another like cordwood.

This year: I will finish the RD of this book and buy the property where we will be rebuilding our lives.
All things in good time!
To that end, I will be uploading all my garbage chapters here, because I really, really don't want to risk losing it all again.

Missed you all.
XOXO
~TBL~

Well, there's a harrowing story! So glad to hear everyone is ok. :)

Your son may look back on the experience of roaming those acres as the best time of his childhood! When I return to my birth place, the one thing that resonates with more memories, magic and wonder to this day are the two plots of woods that sit on the sides of my grandparent's ( now my mother's) old house. Days spent roaming and imagining. They still inform my stories and my never-ending sense of nostalgia. So much is directly tied to that place, the air, the birdsong, the soil. . . and I never knew it at the time, of course.

Hoping all works out and you complete the draft going forward!