• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Just hit the Save and Publish button!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Congrats! It was tough for me to do that, but I'm glad I pulled the trigger since I feel like there's no going back now. I'm positive I've learned more about writing, editing, publishing, marketing, etc. by doing it myself than reading any advice or books about the topics. Sure, it's good that I prepared myself in some ways by doing so, but there are so many new things I learned by simply doing them.

Good luck!

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Congrats! It was tough for me to do that, but I'm glad I pulled the trigger since I feel like there's no going back now. I'm positive I've learned more about writing, editing, publishing, marketing, etc. by doing it myself than reading any advice or books about the topics. Sure, it's good that I prepared myself in some ways by doing so, but there are so many new things I learned by simply doing them.

Good luck!

Philip,

I agree completely. Sometime, you have to learn by doing. That's one main reason that I rewrote Abuse of Power for my first release instead of going directly with the novel. I figured it would help work out some of the kinks in the system.

Russ

Istar
Big Congrats. I have a fair bit of travel coming up, I will download it and read it quite promptly.

Keeping my fingers crossed for your success.

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
Brian, I borrowed it through KU, so you should get some pages read showing up soon. :) By the way, I really like the new opening to 'Rise of the Mages' - works really well.

Congrats on publishing. Now on to the next book...

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Pauline,

Cool! Thank you so much!

I also should get some reviews showing up soon, hopefully. I got 16 commitments, so I'm hoping for a 50% follow through rate. I can live with 8 :)

Actually, 2 of the reviewers already contacted me.

This is so cool. I feel like a big time publisher!

Thanks.

Brian

EDIT: And I've got a review. Awesome possum!

Last edited:

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
I also should get some reviews showing up soon, hopefully. I got 16 commitments, so I'm hoping for a 50% follow through rate. I can live with 8 :)

There are 5 listed (3 x 5* and 2 x 4*, which is good because it looks more real than all 5*). Only 2 are showing up at the moment (it takes a while to filter through the system, so don't panic!).

Now isn't this fun? Try to to obsess over the sales graph. :) Oh, and don't forget to add the link in your sig.

Incanus

Auror
Congrats, Brian.

Seeing something like this all the way through is no small thing. I imagine there will be a well-deserved spring in your step over the ensuing days!

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Congrats. Bought the book. Reading it. Will post review.

You've started on your next one, right?

Rise of the Mages, the novel I've worked on for the last 4.5 years, is ready to publish. Like literally the file is ready to be uploaded right now. I'll be hitting publish on that one on 10/1.

My challenge at the moment is to publish Repulsive, the start of a superhero series, on 11/1. So far, I'm on track.

Thank you so much for the purchase and the review!

Brian

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
Rise of the Mages, the novel I've worked on for the last 4.5 years, is ready to publish. Like literally the file is ready to be uploaded right now. I'll be hitting publish on that one on 10/1.

Why not put it up for pre-order? Add a link at the back of Abuse of Power, and you'll get some sell-through before it's even published. It also reassures potential readers of Abuse of Power that you're not some fly-by-night, but you're actually going to stick around and publish more stuff.

I've set up pre-orders on all my books as soon as I had a more-or-less finished file, but for the current one, which will be published on 25th, I set up the pre-order the full 3 months ahead of time. It's spent the whole time on the Hot New Releases list (with only a couple of pre-orders a day), and it's actually driving readers to the other three books. I have 150+ pre-orders at the moment.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Why not put it up for pre-order? Add a link at the back of Abuse of Power, and you'll get some sell-through before it's even published. It also reassures potential readers of Abuse of Power that you're not some fly-by-night, but you're actually going to stick around and publish more stuff.

I've set up pre-orders on all my books as soon as I had a more-or-less finished file, but for the current one, which will be published on 25th, I set up the pre-order the full 3 months ahead of time. It's spent the whole time on the Hot New Releases list (with only a couple of pre-orders a day), and it's actually driving readers to the other three books. I have 150+ pre-orders at the moment.

I'm trying to do one release a month to see if that builds momentum, so I don't want to release early. Besides, I'm going to do free promotions with AoP early next month, and I'll have the link in by that point.