• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Just stuff we are watching

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Did not think it worth giving each its own thread, so kind of a catch all.

Most recently saw 3000 years of longing. Must say, as I was watching it, I thought it might have some interesting things to say about story telling and was getting eager to share it here, but...it fizzled and did not deliver on that :( I thought this movie had a tough job. The opening was making promises that the end could not overcome, so it lost strength by the end. I wish it had managed to capture something more profound than it did, but it did make me think about this thing we all do while watching it.

Prior to that, I saw Fall (I see a lot of movies). Admittedly, I have become squeamish about heights in my older years, but this movie caused me the most stress I have ever had at a movie. It was hard for me to watch. The heights, and the not being careful around them, really got to me. I did not care for the surprise though, I felt that was cheating.

That first one was a lie...Most recently, I saw the professionals on Netflix. An old western where everone gets shot up. What stood out to me was at the end, the heroes(?) do the right thing and return to girl they were trying to rescue back to the one she loved and not the one who hired them, but they completely glossed over they pretty much killed everyone she knew...I was like...Yeah, but.... What about all her freinds? Meh... 70's western I think.

I haven't seen any of those.

Lately my viewing has been divided.

On the one hand, I recently discovered Heartstopper and Young Royals on Netflix. I've watched both multiple times over the last couple months. Those led me to discovering Skam, and I'm glad they did. I've watched the "Isak" seasons of: Skam (Norway), SKAM Italia, Druck (Germany's version), wtFOCK (Belgium's version) and Skam France.

I've come to believe the third season of Skam (Norway) is a masterpiece. The character arc of Isak is amazing, especially given the fact that the ten episodes each range from only 18 minutes to 33 minutes of run time. The pacing is perfect. I wonder if watching the two prior seasons would have heightened or weakened the effect for me, since Isak appears in those as well.

On the other hand, I'm jumping into the usual for me: She-Hulk and House of the Dragon. I genuinely didn't believe GRRM's world would ascend to the level it has now reached for me after the first two episodes. I thought it was going to be a one-off, loved for GoT but locked there. Now I fully believe Westeros and Essos have reached Middle-earth status and probably won't ever lose it.

Speaking of which, I'm excited to start The Rings of Power soon.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Heheh...I've seen good things about the new House of Dragon, but I am gonna pass on the others you mentioned. I read the book for Game of Thrones, not seen the series. I am not sure if I ever will. Maybe when I am done with my own tale. Never heard of Skam. I will look for it.

I just started watching Deep Space Nine with my husband. I'm not a trekkie, he is, and he was watching it while I was doing puzzles in the evenings several months ago. I started half listening and then one evening he went to his brothers, and I sat down to do my puzzle and realized that it wasn't the same without DS9 on in the background 😄 it quickly progressed from me listening to it to sitting and watching it with him and then telling him he couldn't watch it without me. I stopped right before the end because I realized that I was going to want to rewatch it and didn't want to see the end before I saw the beginning, so we are a handful of episodes in. I'm very much enjoying it, more so than other Star Trek series but I've seen snippets of.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Of the Star Treks, I liked enterprise the best. I would put DS9 second to last. But I have seen them all :) (well, not the newest stuff, I feel it left me behind).

I feel bad, I started this thread, but I've not been watching anything.

A friend and I are watching the Boys. I feel I would not continue it if I was on my own, but does have high production values and a good set of actors. I think the hallmark of the show is just that somehow it finds the wrongness of everything and rubs your face in it. I dont know how it can resolve though. I think the direction is that Starlight will eventually defeat Homelander, but she's not really doing the stuff that would get her there. But, maybe it will not go down the obvious path.

Last edited:
My husband watched the boys and liked it. I saw snippets, it seemed good just a little too much for me personally 😄 I wanted to like it because I love Jensen Ackles but oh well

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...if you were wondering if the movie, Medieval, was about people in a brutal and sucky place doing a lot of violence to each other, wonder no more. That is what it is.

Sometimes, I feel I have to watch stuff as a type of homework. Had no idea what this movie was about and having seen it, I am still not sure. The words on screen at the end of the movie suggested it was about watching the MC, a dude name Zizka, be kind of a genius on the battlefield and win all his battles, but it was hard to tell that was even going on. I suppose for one scene.... i'd also think they took a loose definition of winning.

Anyway, I found myself asking a lot in this movie...so how does anyone winning this conflict make life better for anyone else? and maybe they should stop killing each other, and just work on living through this sucky period in history instead. They did a good job of showing people using religion in a bad way, but more it appeared that God was not really about to provide some type of peace...or even joy in anyone's life. Mostly it was just mud, and misery and terrible wounds.

Anyway...lots of different weapon types, and chain mail and people getting smashed.

My only real take away was on the use of maggots to treat wounds...I am wondering if that had any benefit at all. I suspect no.

I finished watching season 5 of Cobra Kai. The writing for this season was uneven and odd (hah) but I was quickly hooked. The focus was so much more on the adults this time around, with some exceptions. I think I like the characters, the acting, and the showrunners' commitment to fun however silly.

My only real take away was on the use of maggots to treat wounds...I am wondering if that had any benefit at all. I suspect no.
Maggots have been used to treat wounds (and I think they sometimes still are). They only eat dead (and diseased) tissue and in doing so also remove bacteria from the wound, leaving behind healthy flesh. It's actually a real therapy (in certain instances at least).

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Maggots have been used to treat wounds (and I think they sometimes still are). They only eat dead (and diseased) tissue and in doing so also remove bacteria from the wound, leaving behind healthy flesh. It's actually a real therapy (in certain instances at least).
A few years back, and in the UK, my nephew had the maggot treatment for a drug resistant infection, that started to go a bit smelly. A fine mesh was laid down over the infected area, 3 or 4 maggots were dropped on to the spot. They were left there for half an hour or so and then taken away and destroyed. But the wound was clean.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Saw the movie ‘barbarian’. Its a horror movie and i bought the hype that it was to be the scariest in years. Sadly this was not even close to scary and was borderline yuck in some places. (Word for comedians and horror makers—making me go yuck does not make me think you are funny or good at horror).

Anyway. Thought i would say so here cause this movie is a good example of people doing things people would not do, which to me that is one sure to fail at making believable characters. In horror there is a lot of that and i dont know why, its the one thing horror fans want less of. But….in fiction characters need to be believable or they wont sell.

If you like horror, X is a better movie.

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
Of the Star Treks, I liked enterprise the best. I would put DS9 second to last. But I have seen them all :) (well, not the newest stuff, I feel it left me behind).

I feel bad, I started this thread, but I've not been watching anything.

A friend and I are watching the Boys. I feel I would not continue it if I was on my own, but does have high production values and a good set of actors. I think the hallmark of the show is just that somehow it finds the wrongness of everything and rubs your face in it. I dont know how it can resolve though. I think the direction is that Starlight will eventually defeat Homelander, but she's not really doing the stuff that would get her there. But, maybe it will not go down the obvious path.
Oh man, the Boys does get crazy. No way Starlight is going to take down Homelander. I finished season three and it is pretty intersting the directions they have taken it. In the end, nothing the main characters can do to stop people from being terrible. As for the company and Homelander, not to have any spoilers but it's going to take some creative thinking to end that.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, if they defeat Homelander, I think the show is kind of over, so I expect it will not happen unless the actor quits, or they dont want to do it anymore.

Not at the end of season three. The one I am watching it with has already seen it, but is pretending he has not watched ahead...but there is not a lot of motivation to push it along. I do think the trajectory will be Starlight will end up being the one who prevails, but... that's not how it plays out in the graphic novel. We'll see...

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Finished season 3 of the boys. I am kind of thinking that should have been it. They took their best chance and did not carry it through. I feel I am ready for a different show.

I saw also recently 'Dont Worry Darling' which I was expecting to be politically charged given some of the off screen commentary on it, but I did not find it that way. I thought the movie was okay.

And I more recently saw, Amsterdam... More message stuff. There are better movies.

I also started RRR, which I think may be the next one I will recommend to people, but I am holding on it to watch it with a friend. We'll see.

Weekly I'm still watching She-Hulk and House of the Dragon. The latest episode of Dragon, 8, was its best so far and maybe the best in the entire GoT franchise. The intermix of political and family intrigue is my weakness.

I've stopped on The Rings of Power after the second episode. I'll save the rest until I finish Dragon and if I get really bored. I'm bad about drifting away from shows. I never finished the latest season of Stranger Things, either.

I watched Marvel's Werewolf by Night, and I could have watched even more if they'd made more. I liked the change in vibe for Marvel and current television in general.

I watched through the latest season of Fate: The Winx Saga. This is one of those "It's kinda bad in a lot of ways but I still like watching it—with several glasses of wine in my stomach."

I also finally caught up with Grantchester and Endeavor. (On Amazon Prime.) These are two of my special treats. I'm a sucker for period cozy mystery shows, and these two skirt that subgenre well.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think HOTD is a winner by many accounts, but I've not seen any of it. I am going to speculate She-Hulk and ROP dont survive very long. The others I dont know, but I am avoiding watching a lot of things to have writing time. I do like mysteries.

Grantchester and Endeavor are a lot like the Miss Marple, Poirot, and Father Brown mystery series, with some differences of course. They are set in the UK in the 1950's and 1960/70's respectively. Endeavor is a prequel to the Inspector Morse series, taking place during his younger years. Few of the episodes of either are jarring, although occasionally they can be. They are very cozy, an interesting look into the periods and the various character ensembles.

They are also a lot more buddy cop than solo detective.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I liked Endeavour, especially when you could see the foreshadowing of later events in Morse's life. Like when he first sees the Jaguar he later owns or when he got his heart broken, leaving him just that little bit more cynical.

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
Finished season 3 of the boys. I am kind of thinking that should have been it. They took their best chance and did not carry it through. I feel I am ready for a different show.

I saw also recently 'Dont Worry Darling' which I was expecting to be politically charged given some of the off screen commentary on it, but I did not find it that way. I thought the movie was okay.

And I more recently saw, Amsterdam... More message stuff. There are better movies.

I also started RRR, which I think may be the next one I will recommend to people, but I am holding on it to watch it with a friend. We'll see.
I loved season 3, but yeah, they botched the ending a bit on that one. Easily could have solved the situation and beaten Homelander together, then dealt with each other instead of their egos getting in the way.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Black Adam today. Must admit my expectations were low. I was expecting more the lecturing from the screen that so many films are dishing out...but there wasn't any that I could see. I thought it was a little forced in places, but was not a bad film. But, to be honest, i am not sure what can save DC at this point. I think they should have waited till they had something worthy to say before spamming out a bunch of movies. Marvel got their brain.

Everytime I see these movies though, I find myself thinking....if this stuff is so bad, why is hawkman and some no bodies trying to handle it? Wouldn't Superman show up before they lose the planet? In this movie he did finally show up as if he was some lackey of Waller, which is not who he is, but... If Hawkman would man would have started off the way Superman did, I bet the movie would have had a much different tact.

Anyway. Better than the last three movies I saw.

I think I might add, i aslo saw the newest Halloween movie. It was meh...nothing special. I feel, after having seen all the Halloween movies that I still dont know anything about Michael Meyers and why he is able to survive so much. Near as I can tell is its just the mask. I always ask, why do you keep assuming you got him, when you know he keeps getting back up? In this one they really mangle him, but....I am not sure why that would be finishing. He seems to survive a lot. Guess cause the actors are getting old and want to stop.