• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Justification for having meteors

Shreddies

Troubadour
So, I have a world that's flat-ish, with a giant tree growing in the middle. The night sky is the crown of the tree (Which covers most of the sky, barring a little strip right down on the horizon) and the stars are its flowers and fruits (or nuts).

Anyways, I also wanted the occasional meteor, or at least the option to have meteors. But the only explanation I could come up with is that they're either A) Bits of bark that came off and fell to earth, or B) Giant Rock Sloths that died of old age, or accidentally let go of the branches.

Anyone have an interesting alternative? Or suggestion for it?

Nimue

Auror
Why not go with the ancient assumption that meteors are falling stars, and have them be the seed or pit of the fruit that's fallen to earth?

Shreddies

Troubadour
Why not go with the ancient assumption that meteors are falling stars, and have them be the seed or pit of the fruit that's fallen to earth?

Interesting, but I already have the fallen stars being edible, like a walnut, and fairly common depending on the season. And a yearly festival that happens when all the stars fall out of the sky and are collected to make seasonal dishes. Kind of with a Christmas-y feel.
(By the time the stars fall, they're fairly small and dim, maybe only about 4 or 5 inches across and as dim as a candle)

I kind of wanted meteors to be less common than that, so I don't think that'll work. :(

Laurence

Inkling
If you're looking for something that falls out of trees IRL but isn't too common then I'd go with bird eggs. This would open the door of something coming out of the 'meteor', plus eggs are pretty.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
If you're looking for something that falls out of trees IRL but isn't too common then I'd go with bird eggs. This would open the door of something coming out of the 'meteor', plus eggs are pretty.

That's a really cool thought. What sort of birds would nest in a tree that's literally the sky?

Nimue

Auror
Ha, I had the same idea of bird eggs! A giant heavenly bird hatching on earth could make for a very interesting plot line...