• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Kill this Thread

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Still feeling piratey. Here's some good advice:

The so-called "experts" what write dictionaries and such would have us believe that "pillage" and "plunder" are no more than synonyms. Those so-called "experts" are what I likes to call, "nuance-challenged!"

When ye "pillage" ye be "breakin' and takin'!" Whereas when ye "plunder" ye be "takin' and breakin'!" With pillagin' - ye're much more focused on the destruction and mayhem involved in the act. Plunderers, on the other hand, are more "outcome sensitive."
So, ye see, lads- ye can almost break down the whole pirate world into two types o' pirates - thems what likes the journey (The Pillage People) and thems what prefer the destination (Plunder Monkeys.)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Arrrr... I be on a boat, mother lubber!

That's all I've got.

(Kicks a pebble.)

(Watches it skip twice before plunking into the sea.)

(Says the letter "R" again.)

Hmm, this thread could take a while. I can just picture myself in a few decades time with a long grey beard and a walking stick, coming to check if anyone has posted recently.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Hmm, this thread could take a while. I can just picture myself in a few decades time with a long grey beard and a walking stick, coming to check if anyone has posted recently.

It'll happen. A few weekends. A little more activity in the Challenges forum pushing it down. Eventually it'll fall off the radar until just nobody cares for a moment.

Alternatively, we'll get to see what it takes to break a thread on Mythic Scribes. Last post before it snaps wins the thing, right?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'm on school vacation now. Next week, it'll be easy for me to let this thread slip by.

(I should have stolen the victory while I had the chance. Stupid honor!)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
It'll happen. A few weekends. A little more activity in the Challenges forum pushing it down. Eventually it'll fall off the radar until just nobody cares for a moment.

Alternatively, we'll get to see what it takes to break a thread on Mythic Scribes. Last post before it snaps wins the thing, right?

It'll never happen because I'll just keep posting until infinity or I'll make another profile and post alternately like some crazed hobo of the internet.

Holdwyne

Dreamer
Still feeling piratey. Here's some good advice:

The so-called "experts" what write dictionaries and such would have us believe that "pillage" and "plunder" are no more than synonyms. Those so-called "experts" are what I likes to call, "nuance-challenged!"

When ye "pillage" ye be "breakin' and takin'!" Whereas when ye "plunder" ye be "takin' and breakin'!" With pillagin' - ye're much more focused on the destruction and mayhem involved in the act. Plunderers, on the other hand, are more "outcome sensitive."
So, ye see, lads- ye can almost break down the whole pirate world into two types o' pirates - thems what likes the journey (The Pillage People) and thems what prefer the destination (Plunder Monkeys.)

Ye Gads!!!! Now even our Pirates must be politically correct!!! So what happens if one from the tribe of the pillage people has an off day and acts and reacts as if he were of the tribe of the plunder monkeys??

Do we Hoist him from the Yardarm or give him a medal for having a moment of moral ambiguity??? ;)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
It'll never happen because I'll just keep posting until infinity or I'll make another profile and post alternately like some crazed hobo of the internet.
You could use your alternate profile, then log in as Phil and reply that you suspect that "someone who shall remain unnamed" is using an alternate profile which is grounds for a thread-lock.

And then you lock the thread and win! YAY!!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
And then you lock the thread and win! YAY!!

Evil.

I kind of like the idea of breaking the thread. Anyone know how many posts that'll take? Is it like 25 pages or 99 or 1000? Is it even possible? Maybe it's a random number and will just catch us off guard.

Maybe we should ask Black Dragon to decide on a random time to lock the thread no matter who posted last.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I like killing things... When we're done, can I wear this thread on my head like a lampshade even if I didn't win?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I want this thread to become clinically depressed.

Hey thread! Go watch "Milo and Otis" or something!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
. . .. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . : . . . . .. : . . . . . . . . ... : . . . . . . : ... . . . . . . . . . . . :: . . . . . . .. .. . . . . . . .: . . . . : . . . .. : . . . .. . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . : . . . . .. : . . . . . . . . ... : . . . . . . : ... . . . . . . . . . . . :: . . . . . . .. .. . . . . . . .: . . . . : . . . .. : . . . .. . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . : . . . . .. : . . . . . . . . ... : . . . . . . : ... . . . . . . . . . . . :: . . . . . . .. .. . . . . . . .: . . . . : . . . .. : . . . .. . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . : . . . . .. : . . . . . . . . ... : . . . . . . : ... . . . . . . . . . . . :: . . . . . . .. .. . . . . . . .: . . . . : . . . .. : . . . .. . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . : . . . . .. : . . . . . . . . ... : . . . . . . : ... . . . . . . . . . . . :: . . . . . . .. .. . . . . . . .: . . . . : . . . .. : . . . .. . .

Great. Now my post is all covered in stubble. This thread stopped shaving... because it stopped caring.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
This thread needs some ice cream.

So what's up with these challenges below, huh? Are people finishing their stories? I have a challenge. If you haven't finished your story in a challenge, go finish it. Challenging!