• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Kill this Thread

Nihal

Vala
Well, apparently US people like to take good care of their fish. While some offer them tea other even create laws forbidding people to get them drunk and such.

Addison

Auror
Only the second day of classes and I already feel like I've been here a month. Not because it's hard, but because I'm bored. True I've gotten a lot of brain power for writing. But still. And now I have class rescheduling, compliments of family drama. Someone get me outta here.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
My second day of the school year, and I don't have a room to teach in because of construction at my school. They prepared for this by giving me an alternate/temporary room. It's huge, but full of boxes and bins fulla books, and almost as dusty and broken as my permanent room. The electricians—five of them—were installing lights when I came in there to set up. I just left a stack of books there and that was all I could do.

Students start tomorrow. I'm praying the fire marshal shut us down for the week so students won't inhale dust, but the cynic in me doesn't think that'll happen.

Yeah… sending my daughter to a private school was a good move.

Nihal

Vala
At my university we always had to steal desks from the other rooms. I had some classes in similar rooms as you described–the whole semester. It was a public university, but what makes it different from your situation is that the public universities are considered the best here.

You have to compete with thousands of other students to get a spot. The private ones are often better equipped (being paid, duh...), but the courses aren't considered as good as the ones offered by public universities. Sounds like some sort of a sick joke, doesn't it?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I shouldn't knock public education too much (since I work in it). It's forces outside of the schools that corrupt the system. Not something I want to get into, or I'll never shut up about it.

I find it funny that my colleagues in Hong Kong were so happy I'd teach in a US school when I announced I was leaving HK five years ago. I had lunch with my former boss in Hong Kong last month and told her the horrible truth, which is that I left the best job I ever had when I left her school. Not that I regret it totally. There are things I prefer about the life here, too.

Nihal

Vala
I know how do you feel. Here, entering a public university is something to be proud of. Some people try for years, your parents probably won't shut up about it, etc. The truth is not so pretty once you're inside. I also had jobs where I felt exactly like this: a shiny surface hiding an ugly truth underneath. Pretty sad... but I don't regret a thing, not ingressing nor leaving those places.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
About my school: I was able to find other rooms that are free during my teaching periods, so we're not breathing nasty dust in my classes. But the lady from the Health Department wasn't a happy camper when she came in the building yesterday.

About the Dragon (Hannah) : she walks!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
If life were fair, anybody could one-punch-KO anybody under the condition that the punchee deserved a punch, and the puncher was obligated to throw said punch.

But since life isn't fair, maybe technology can be the great equalizer. So I came up with an idea for an app called "Punch-in-the-Facebook." How it works is like this:

(A.) A creepy guy contacts a random woman with a creepy message like, 'HI PRETTY! Hello dear, you may be surprised by my post, but you are very beautiful and are the kind of woman I want to spend the rest of my life blah blah blah…"

(B.) The woman is married, and used the 'Married to:" feature on her Facebook page.

(C.) Her husband has the app and presses the PUNCH button.

So once the PUNCH is pressed, every jerk who left the puncher's wife a message with words like 'pretty', 'beautiful', and 'hi' gets a virtual punch in the face. I'm thinking the app could do things like add a black eye graphic, and turn every 's' to a 'th' in future messages so you type like you're lisping due to missing teeth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Somehow, that reaction seems so wrong, seeing how the creepy guys apparently want to "poke" my wife.

To clarify, my wife and I read these messages together and laugh at these jerks. It's not a concern regarding my marriage—I don't want this to be mistaken for something more sinister than it is. It's the creepiness of total strangers using Facebook to hit on women that weirds me out. I saw that dumb movie about Facebook, so I guess that's what the site was intended for, but still… for a long time, it was a place to store photos, but suddenly in 2013 my wife and other married women we know are getting several messages like this.

Nihal

Vala
Haha, yeah, I know. Random friend requests are odd enough, when accompanied by creepy messages it's simply a:

89b6430f2d71a89191a58490be2da3c4_view.jpg

*delete*

Nihal

Vala
Okay, then!

Fun fact: Every time the doorbell rings one of my cats runs and hides. It's like if the doorbell is the herald of the impending doom; as soon the terrible noise sounds impossibly tall, heavy and nameless titans whose steps shake the very ground invade his domains through the Gate to the Unknown. Eventually they leave, never doing him any harm, but he knows better than linger around and give them the opportunity.

But when the keys sound on the other side of the Gate to the Unknown he knows one of those smaller and lighter titans who feeds him, dries him when he goes out on the rain and hold him when he feels lonely is coming, so he rushes to the door and greets them with his best kitten meow.

The other cat? He's past the age of bothering about anything.