• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Killing off more writing myths

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Many of Smith's blog entries are worth reading, this one included. "Myths" addressed here include the idea that there is only one way to write properly, and you have to rewrite.

Chapter One: Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing: Only One Way |

Here is one specifically directed to rewriting, which is perhaps the most common myth I see propagated on writing forums (I've tried to point it out when someone makes the "all first drafts are bad" comment you inevitably see crop up, but it seems to be a lost cause): http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=4398

In fact, you may as well go through all of his "Killing the Sacred Cows" posts, since so many of these myths are offered as fact on writing forums:

http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?page_id=860

Last edited:

danr62

Sage
It depends on the writer. Some find that rewriting helps them improve their stories dramatically, while others feel it kills the fire and passion they had when they first wrote the story.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
It depends on the writer. Some find that rewriting helps them improve their stories dramatically, while others feel it kills the fire and passion they had when they first wrote the story.

Yes, this is it exactly. But you see all the time on writing forums people saying "all" first draft suck, and you always need to rewrite after the initial draft, etc. It can make people new to writing think that's just sort of the standard approach. I think each writer needs to determine for themselves whether rewriting is necessary, and it not only varies from writer to writer but from work to work. The first fiction piece I ever sold was a first draft, with only a quick read-through to fix typos.

My most recent sale was written all in one sitting, as a single draft. I rewrote the ending after Benjamin Clayborne suggested it. So the original ending scene was scrapped and an entirely new one written, also in a single draft. I tend not to rewrite what I've already got down on paper.

I think Heinlein's rules (see the blog post I linked) are too far on one side. His advice to 'never' rewrite unless an editor makes you seems just as bad as the advice that a first draft is always going to be bad.

Last edited:

danr62

Sage
I'm one of the people who have said that the first draft always sucks, but I usually direct that to new writers who haven't gotten the experience yet to produce an excellent first draft. Sure, it's possible for a brand new writer, who's never even tried to write anything, to sit down and say "I'm going to be a writer" and create a great first draft, but it isn't terribly likely. By and large, you need to gain the experience to get to that point.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Sure, it's possible for a brand new writer, who's never even tried to write anything, to sit down and say "I'm going to be a writer" and create a great first draft, but it isn't terribly likely. By and large, you need to gain the experience to get to that point.

Yeah...I think there's some truth to that, but I kind of waffle on it, myself. As Smith notes in the article, the creative process of letting yourself go and writing is quite different from the analytical process of editing. I've seen plenty of writers, both new and seasoned, ruin a story during the editing process. For example, in one case I am thinking of a writer posted a first draft of a chapter. It could have used some tightening, but it seethed with energy and emotion, because the writer just poured himself onto the page. It was pretty good, even though it had flaws. After getting comments, the writer spent days editing it and re-posted it. Sure enough, the technical issues were addressed, but frankly the rewrite was flat. The writer killed the chapter during the revision process. My recommendation was that of the two he should stick with the original draft and through the other one in the trash. Not sure what he did.

But as you say, this is all specific to the writer, and even to a given work by a writer.

Graylorne

Archmage
I like rewriting. I admit it. It's part of my creative process. My first draft is generally rather bare bones and only in rewriting I can flesh it out, shape it, breathe and polish it, till it's finished. I do it constantly (and yes, I do finish manuscripts that way).
The moment I start disliking it, is when my editor tells me to rewrite. Perhaps I'm a bit contrary...

The analytical proces of editing - perhaps that's it. I write with my instincts, I don't analyse anything. Wouldn't know how, actually.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
How on earth do you have time to find and read all these posts? I can barely keep up with your posts about them, let alone actually read them. :)

I usually wake up pretty earlier, and I like to take a leisurely stroll through blog and article land before I actually start doing much else (which is why you often see such posts from me in the morning). Some of these blogs are by people I know to look for (Scalzi and Smith, for example). Other stuff I see in news aggregators or sites I like to visit :)

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Maybe I should rephrase that to: Give yourself permission to let the first draft suck.

Exactly. My writing process improved greatly when I decided this. I was too focused on "does this sound right" or "does it suck." Saying "it's a first draft; it's not supposed to be good" allows me to just get it down on paper and fix it later.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Exactly. My writing process improved greatly when I decided this. I was too focused on "does this sound right" or "does it suck." Saying "it's a first draft; it's not supposed to be good" allows me to just get it down on paper and fix it later.

Yeah, I think it is important to just write straight through and not edit as you go. But it is also important to realize that you may end up with a good product as a result of this; one that doesn't need much besides fixing some typos or grammar.

Jabrosky

Banned
I confess to being the sort of writer who edits as he goes. I want my first drafts to be as good as possible to minimize rewrites. Unfortunately I often end up rewriting anyway.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Yeah, I think it is important to just write straight through and not edit as you go. But it is also important to realize that you may end up with a good product as a result of this; one that doesn't need much besides fixing some typos or grammar.

Maybe I'm being too much of a perfectionist, but I haven't found a single paragraph (that might be a tiny bit hyperbolic) that hasn't benefited from multiple revisions. I go over each scene at least four times between rough draft and second draft and at least a couple more times between second and third.

My work, I feel, improves with each pass. Again, though, that's me at the moment. My ability is still increasing pretty fast. I think I'll reach a point some day (hopefully!) where I'll create great material on the first time through.

danr62

Sage
Self editing as you go is a tough habit to break. Sometimes I feel like I simply can't go on if I don't go back and fix this one thing...

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Maybe I'm being too much of a perfectionist, but I haven't found a single paragraph (that might be a tiny bit hyperbolic) that hasn't benefited from multiple revisions. I go over each scene at least four times between rough draft and second draft and at least a couple more times between second and third.

My work, I feel, improves with each pass. Again, though, that's me at the moment. My ability is still increasing pretty fast. I think I'll reach a point some day (hopefully!) where I'll create great material on the first time through.

See, I'm the opposite. I am loathe to rewrite. There are times it is needed, and I'll do it. But more often than not I'll go with my first draft and maybe just tweak it a bit. In many cases, that first draft may be closer to perfection than the edited versions that come later. But as I said above, my first fiction sale was a complete first draft, so that influenced me. My first draft is usually a pretty close capture of the image, emotion, atmosphere, &c. that I am trying to capture. Anything I do to it after that starts to remove it from that original place.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
See, I'm the opposite. I am loathe to rewrite. There are times it is needed, and I'll do it. But more often than not I'll go with my first draft and maybe just tweak it a bit. In many cases, that first draft may be closer to perfection than the edited versions that come later. But as I said above, my first fiction sale was a complete first draft, so that influenced me. My first draft is usually a pretty close capture of the image, emotion, atmosphere, &c. that I am trying to capture. Anything I do to it after that starts to remove it from that original place.

Yep. Completely opposite.

My first draft is almost a broad outline of what happens. Some of what I put down ends up being pretty good, but I add tension, emotion, and subtext with each revision. For my WIP, I didn't really have a handle on the characters until I completely finished the entire book in rough draft form. On my second time through, I'm adding depth and making the beginning chapters match what I learned about them.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yep. Completely opposite.

My first draft is almost a broad outline of what happens. Some of what I put down ends up being pretty good, but I add tension, emotion, and subtext with each revision. For my WIP, I didn't really have a handle on the characters until I completely finished the entire book in rough draft form. On my second time through, I'm adding depth and making the beginning chapters match what I learned about them.

I hear you. Like Dan said, the important thing is to do what works. No reason to expect it to be the same for any two people.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Steerpike said:

Your first sell was a short piece correct?

I think the idea of "revision makes a good story" applies more to novel length works. It's not always about phrasing or word-smithing either. Often, this involves cutting passages, paragraphs or even whole characters. Maybe it's expounding on those ideas just to make everything tie together. In a novel length work, there's bound to be some inconsistencies to clean up or ideas that make the story better by developing them further.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
T.Allen.Smith:

Yes. And so was my most recent piece to Pseudopod. You may well be right about that. Come to think of it, when I said above that I usually stick to first drafts, I notice that the works were I tend not to so much is the novels that I am working on. And I do exactly what you're talking about - move passages around, maybe insert something that appears to be needed, and so on.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Your first sell was a short piece correct?

I think the idea of "revision makes a good story" applies more to novel length works. It's not always about phrasing or word smithing either. Often, this involves cutting passages, paragraphs or even whole characters. Maybe it's expounding on those ideas just to make everything tie together. In a novel length work, there's bound to be some inconsistencies to clean up or ideas that make the story better by developing them further.

I'm in the process of writing a short story, and I'm finding that I'm liking my first draft more than I usually would. I had put it down for a few weeks to concentrate on editing my novel. I read the 4000 words yesterday. I have to say that I liked it. I actually wanted to read more when I reached the end.

I'm not sure if it's because it's the format or that my writing is improving, though. In a short story, you don't have as many characters or subplots, and you can't devote the time to character development that you do in a novel. My plan is 6 or 7 scenes total.