• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Legend of Korra, anyone?

Mindfire

Istar
I won't disagree that there are no easy solutions, but I think there is a problem - or, at least, the beginnings of one, and I refuse to believe that absolutely nobody who sided with Amon had legitimate grievances, since it seemed like he had a pretty big following. If I'm honest, my biggest problem with Legend of Korra, overall, has been Amon in general. They portray him more like Hitler - hell, look at all the Nazi imagery in this finale - when really, up until the big reveal, he just sort of seemed like an extremist freedom fighter. This wasn't a matter of propaganda, it's an underground movement. While I'll always disagree with extremist methods, I simply can't help but feel like the rhetoric he used had to have some valid points to it.
Amon struck me as more of a Marxist actually, although his methods were more Nazi-ish, with a dash of modern terrorism.

Also, his motives were pretty poorly explained. Evil dad, bloodbending woes ... destroy all bending??? I feel like there's a big piece of that story we're missing, but since they decided to just kill him off, I guess we'll never know what happened there. Or with Tarrlok, who somehow went from "bloodbending is wrong and it hurts!" to "muahahahahahaha" to "ohnowait, bloodbending is wrong!". :/ I mean, gah, there's just so much about Tarrlok and Amon that is completely unexplained and just killing them off is such a terrible way to end their story that I can't even begin to list all the things that could have been done better with them.
I wouldn't say that Amon and Tarrlok were poorly explained so much as the explanation wasn't obvious. As I said a couple posts up, I think I've broken down Amon's way of thinking fairly accurately, and it goes something like this:
"Most powerful kind of bending" = bloodbending.
bloodbending = causes pain and misery
causes pain and misery = evil
bloodbending = evil
most powerful (or "purest") form of bending = evil
therefore, ALL BENDING = evil.
I think in Amon's mind the inequity between benders and non-benders is greatly exaggerated due to his experiences with his father. Because to Amon, ALL BENDERS are, or could be, just like his father. His personal experiences shaped his views on bending, similar to thw way some people's experiences during crisis situations shape their opinions against violence. As for Tarrlok, I don't think he ever reveled in his bloodbending power. We never see him gloat over the fact that he can bloodbend, except when facing Amon, and that was more bravado than anything. If he really enjoyed bloodbending, it would have been his first resort against Korra instead of his last I think. He was reluctant to use it and only did so because he realized he had no chance against THE AVATAR without it.

Was she seeing her visions of Yakon to warn her about Tarrlok... or Amon? That was never made particularly clear and now that they've said they're brothers, I just want to find anything in the previous episodes that could even have slightly hinted at this, and that's really the only thing that ties them. But it's just sort of left ambiguous, even though she had a chance to talk to Aang and ask directly.

I think Aang was trying to warn her about both of them, but probably more Amon than Tarrlok. After all the visions started after she encountered Amon IIRC.

Who knows? Maybe they will fill in more blanks in season 2. I'm STILL hoping to find out about Zuko's mother. And what do you think of the idea of using energybending to make people more equal? It would be kind of the opposite of Amon's way. Those who want bending can have it, those who don't want it don't have to get it.

Ophiucha

Auror
I don't think that's enough, your ideas on his motivations. It's still missing that necessary middle piece that just wasn't given. Maybe they can give us a bit more in Season 2, but with him dead...

As for using energybending to give people bending, I mean, it's fantasy, so I guess it's plausible. Time consuming for Korra, though, to the point where you'd likely have to filter it somehow - hell, restoring all of the bending to Republic City will likely to take weeks, maybe months, could you imagine how long it'd take just to give half the nonbenders the power in that city alone? Let alone the rest of the world. You'd also run into moral issues with it, and giving more people bending could increase the likelihood of a bender privilege. Those who choose not to get it would really have no place in the work force since they'd be outnumbered. At least before they had a chance on numbers alone, even if benders are preferable. 20 nonbenders are as good as 1 bender, so as long as the ratio is 20:1 they still have a place, you know? And you'd have moral dilemmas. Do you give it to somebody who could use it for evil? There are 'birth' benders who are evil, so it's unfair discrimination to start psychologically profiling nonbenders who want to get the power, but I'd certainly see Korra wanting to not just give it to any old crime lord or serial killer.

Mindfire

Istar
You raise some interesting questions and I don't have answers for all of them. However, I don't think that it's unfair to profile people before giving them bending. After all, Aang set a precedent for taking away bending if it is misused or abused, and the Avatar has full authority to do that, so the Avatar should also have full authority to decide whether someone is worthy of being a bender. Although I can hardly think of a situation where someone would be denied. As for it being time consuming, I see your point. But this is fantasy. Surely Korra can go on some epic spirit world quest and gain the ability to give bending power to everyone all at the same time?

Ophiucha

Auror
Valid point, on the taking away bending front.

I suppose the epic spirit world quest thing would be a matter of "does everybody want to bend?" Given the massive uprising against bending, it's certainly possible that those people resent not just benders, but bending itself. Not everyone would want to be a bender, so you couldn't just give it to everyone, either, without building resentments. Not to mention, we don't know how easy it is to learn how to bend as an adult. And on the individual scale, you could have some questionable choices. What should Korra do if some parents bring in a baby and want to be sure it can bend (or can't bend, even)? That baby isn't being given a choice, though I daresay Korra is more likely to give it bending than to take it away, which has its own moral implications (implying bending is superior, for instance).

Mindfire

Istar
Valid point, on the taking away bending front.

I suppose the epic spirit world quest thing would be a matter of "does everybody want to bend?" Given the massive uprising against bending, it's certainly possible that those people resent not just benders, but bending itself. Not everyone would want to be a bender, so you couldn't just give it to everyone, either, without building resentments. Not to mention, we don't know how easy it is to learn how to bend as an adult. And on the individual scale, you could have some questionable choices. What should Korra do if some parents bring in a baby and want to be sure it can bend (or can't bend, even)? That baby isn't being given a choice, though I daresay Korra is more likely to give it bending than to take it away, which has its own moral implications (implying bending is superior, for instance).

I'm not sure that has any moral implications. If bending wasn't in some sense beneficial, there wouldn't have been an Equalist movement in the first place. And from the perspective of someone in the audience like me, having bending is much cooler than not having it, unless you can make up for it with crazy martial arts skills, like Suki, Sokka, Asami, and Master Piandao can/could. As for the baby, I say better to let it have/keep its power and then decide for itself when it gets older.

Aravelle

Sage
I am with Mindfire on this one. Although the finale disappointed me in more ways than one, I understand why. It was rushed, characterization has been a large sacrifice with the shortness of the series... because it was originally going to be one. With the overwhelming popularity of it, it's probably going to be a minimum of 3, leaving more room for filler episodes and characterization.

Am I the only person who adores Asami with a bloodied passion? I was so scared Bryke was going to make her go with her father.

Aravelle

Sage
I wish Korra had lost her bending for more than a few minutes, so she would be forced to focus on her spirituality. I also LOATHED the Makorra thing. He hasn't even broken up with Asami yet for Aang's sake.

Mindfire

Istar
Asami is fabulous. I hope she ends up with Iroh II and becomes the Fire Lady, because she deserves a throne.

This. So much this. While I don't have anything against Makorra (anymore), Asami hasn't gotten a fair shake I feel. She gave up her father, who was the last family she had, and all of her material possessions, which were a LOT, in order to take a stand and do the right thing. Plus, she had every reason to side with Amon, and she didn't. She deserves better. I mean, what did Korra sacrifice? Jack all. I have nothing against Korra, but still.

ethgania

Dreamer
Yeah, I'm not too sure about how I felt about the ending either. But I mean, I understand a lot of the problems came from having to rush since they were only in it for the 12 episodes at first. Hopefully the upcoming season(s) are better paced... although I read somewhere about adding a third season while they were already working on two, so it may just happen all over again.

Either way, given the constraints, they've done a good job! I mean, fitting as much as they did into 12 23-odd minute episodes? It may require a lot of rushing but they got it done without sacrificing much quality.

Also, Iroh II irritates me because of his voice. Sigh!

Ophiucha

Auror
Zuko's voice coming out of that character was definitely a little weird. But, I mean, the voice actor is 36, so it's not like he wasn't the right age for it. It's just... Zuko.

ethgania

Dreamer
My husband and I were watching it together every week, and when he started talking it was just a big "...Reaaallly?" moment for us.

I'm sure it doesn't bother the kids who are coming to the show for the first time as just another in their Saturday line-up, but daaaang it's distracting.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I saw a great article about Legend of Korra. It's a little bit harsh, but if you've seen the show, I think it can help you a lot in thinking about your characters.

How You Can Have a Bunch of Great Ideas but Still Fuck Up Real Bad: A Korra Essay | something entertaining

I want to say, I disagree with him completely about the Romance episode - I thought that was one of the best in the series. And I could argue with a point or two. But I think he's spot-on about a lot of other things, and he addresses them in a way that I think will help in thinking about character arcs.

Mindfire

Istar
Read the article. Author had a few points but, suffice it to say that none of the things that bothered her bothered me at all. Didn't even come into my mind. Maybe it's because I'm easily pleased, or because I'm a sucker for perfect resolutions. Whatever. Korra won, General Iroh was epic, Amon and Tarrlok were enjoyably sinister. Honestly I would have been disappointed if they'd done some of the things she suggested. Like that bittersweet ending business. Ick.

I actually liked the Avatar State scene at the end. It was a very iconic moment for me. I came for awesomeness, and awesomeness I received. I'm satisfied. To each his own I guess?

Also, anybody else think Amon resembles Darth Vader in the finale?

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Author had a few points but, suffice it to say that none of the things that bothered her bothered me at all.

The one that really bothered me was how much her Avatar training completely disappeared in the series. She didn't work on air bending at all. I wouldn't have minded the ending had she progressed in her training throughout the series and come to the point where the ending was appropriate.

But the article talks about other things. I think he's right, for instance, that the bond between Mako and Bolin doesn't really come up once Bolin gives up on wanting to date Korra, which he does rather suddenly. And that they never had a discussion about their personal history, having their family killed by fire benders, after Amon makes the same claim. That would've helped to give them a more fulfilling arc and made the emotion of the Equalizer's claims feel more tempting.

To be clear, I didn't post it to criticize the show. Aside from the lack of spiritual training, I enjoyed it a lot. I only posted because I thought the criticism makes some good points about character arcs and storytelling that you can see in the show.

Mindfire

Istar
The one that really bothered me was how much her Avatar training completely disappeared in the series. She didn't work on air bending at all. I wouldn't have minded the ending had she progressed in her training throughout the series and come to the point where the ending was appropriate.

But the article talks about other things. I think he's right, for instance, that the bond between Mako and Bolin doesn't really come up once Bolin gives up on wanting to date Korra, which he does rather suddenly. And that they never had a discussion about their personal history, having their family killed by fire benders, after Amon makes the same claim. That would've helped to give them a more fulfilling arc and made the emotion of the Equalizer's claims feel more tempting.

To be clear, I didn't post it to criticize the show. Aside from the lack of spiritual training, I enjoyed it a lot. I only posted because I thought the criticism makes some good points about character arcs and storytelling that you can see in the show.

I think the author is a girl. Jayd is a girl's name. Right?

And the Equalists weren't supposed to feel tempting, they were supposed to feel threatening. So far as that goes, mission accomplished. From my point of view the Equalists were always going to be wrong, simply because they're the bad guys. Oh and they're terrorists. And they forcibly "modify" people to push their agenda. Plus, the benders are all heroes except the gangs and Tarrlok. The Equalists' claims were never going to hold water with me. I wanted to see them go down, not sympathize with them. I think all these people trying to make the Equalists sympathetic are somewhat missing the point. What about Azula and Ozai? Would you like to sympathize with them also?

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I think all these people trying to make the Equalists sympathetic are somewhat missing the point. What about Azula and Ozai? Would you like to sympathize with them also?

I think maybe you latched onto the wrong word of the point I was making. Having Mako and Bolin talk more about their family being killed wouldn't actually have made the equalizers sympathetic as, y'know, both of them are benders. I do mean it would have made their goals tempting, sure . . . if you're evil. I didn't mean otherwise. Evil can become more terrifying when it makes valid points.

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
I think maybe you latched onto the wrong word of the point I was making. Having Mako and Bolin talk more about their family being killed wouldn't actually have made the equalizers sympathetic as, y'know, both of them are benders. I do mean it would have made their goals tempting, sure . . . if you're evil. I didn't mean otherwise. Evil can become more terrifying when it makes valid points.

Ohhh. That makes more sense.