• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Lulu?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Ahoy folks,

Do any of you have experience with lulu.com? (Lulu - Online Self Publishing Book & eBook Company)
I was daydreaming a bit last night and decided that once I have my novel finished I want to have a physical copy of it.
It seems straightforward enough to get a copy printed, and it would be cool to have one.

When browsing the site, I noticed they offer the option to sell print-on-demand versions of books on amazon.com and other sites. Have any of you tried that?

The price for producing one copy of the book on lulu.com is affordable in the case of me wanting to get one copy made for personal reasons, but I doubt anyone else would be willing to pay that much.

The price estimate on the lulu page is 15 euro for a 300 page hardcover book. Add shipping and tax to that and it adds up a bit. It doesn't quite seem reasonable to expect anyone to shell out that much on an independently published debut novel from an unknown author.

Then again, maybe it'll let me get my mom to buy one. :p

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've put physical books together for people on Createspace. The price is often cheaper than Lulu, from what I can tell, and the quality is good.

troynos

Minstrel
Createspace is an Amazon company so your book is listed with them automatically when made through the site and they connect you with Kindle Direct Publishing so don't have to redo everything when making a kindle version.

It's free to put up and doesn't cost much to make physical copies through them. My $9.99 cover price book costs me about $3.50 to make a physical book. It will show you the royalties you'd get from that cover price when selling through Amazon or having some other store (B&N for example) "buy" a print on demand copy from Createspace.