• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magic System Critique

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
Soul and will are important factors in its usefulness; if without either, it won't do as it should.

One's will is easily defined as their desire to do X. Example: Enchanting something to harm someone when you do not truly feel like doing such a thing to them simply will not work, no matter how many times you might try.

Oops . . . now I'm confusing myself:)

I see your point with this. It's like a safeguard built in to prevent spur of the moment 'I'm going to mess you up' type of magic use, possibly during some trivial argument. But it could be an idea to allow human nature (momentary rage, spite, jealousy) to overrule this under certain circumstances. This could allow for more drama. Ex: Magician regrets actions taken while angry . . . and so on.

Also, could magicians be taken advantage of under this system? Ex: Everyone knows the magician is a nice guy who will never harm them no matter what they do on him. Maybe they need to be more respectful, just in case he does lose it.

Soul and will are important factors in its usefulness; if without either, it won't do as it should.

One's will is easily defined as their desire to do X. Example: Enchanting something to harm someone when you do not truly feel like doing such a thing to them simply will not work, no matter how many times you might try.

Oops . . . now I'm confusing myself:)

I see your point with this. It's like a safeguard built in to prevent spur of the moment 'I'm going to mess you up' type of magic use, possibly during some trivial argument. But it could be an idea to allow human nature (momentary rage, spite, jealousy) to overrule this under certain circumstances. This could allow for more drama. Ex: Magician regrets actions taken while angry . . . and so on.

Also, could magicians be taken advantage of under this system? Ex: Everyone knows the magician is a nice guy who will never harm them no matter what they do on him. Maybe they need to be more respectful, just in case he does lose it.
The power of basing magic off of psychology: none, but, hey, definitely can make it work.

Jokes aside, i did word it strangely. Essentially, they definitely, can overrule that through learning to "stabilize" their own emotions. In other words, get their brain/body to respond to stressors and whatnot in a way that does not bring unwanted effects. Assuming feelings such as agitated or envious does not provide conflict/distress for said individual, they could likely cast a spell spitefully. Granted, once the magic is rewritten, it's still going to be hard considering you now have to trick people into wearing things; well, if you can't force a bracelet or whatever onto them.

Alas, any magic user be taken advantage of. Once powerful, then, while they remain as such, with restrictions that could more easily lead to having to serve under X person. The idea of not completely mistreating anyone with this "gift" is there, but humans will human.