• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magical incantations

I need some advice regarding one of the magical systems in my current world.

Sorcery involves taking a staff or wand (or sword, or spear, or your own arm but its wands and staffs will be focussing on) and carving a spell into it. Your arsenal is thus limited by what will fit onto the conduit. You then say the spell...

and that's where I'm having trouble.

My original plan was to have the incantations be like prayers, since sorcery was created by the gods the sorceror is literally calling on the gods for help. However this has led to some very long spells, however I'm not sure I want to go down the route of Harry Potter-esque 'say a word and it happens' because it doesn't seem as cool somehow and more to the point it cuts sorcery loose from its foundations in the world-building (raising the question of why sorcery is so rare if it isn't derived from a rare religion). Practicality or world integrity/fun, what do you think?

Telcontar

Staff
I'd say blur the lines. Some incantations might be long - but maybe they can also serve different purposes, depending on the casters abilities and intentions. For instance, one incantation might be able to both light a fire AND cause somebody to become angry (which is kind of like lighting a metaphorical fire in a person). The only difference being what the sorcerer wants to do. After all, if they are 'calling on the gods' then it seems like the Gods should be able to interpret more than just the words...

This also opens up little fun things like an incantation not having the effect the sorcerer thought he wanted. Maybe the Gods saw into his heart more than he does himself, or maybe he just wasn't strong of will enough to fix his own desired effect firmly in his mind. Who knows? Don't tie yourself down too much.

This stems partly from my own belief that you should never fully describe a magic system, though, and I don't know your thoughts on that matter.

You can also hide the long incantations from the reader. Show them happening, the pain and concentration, but leave the pages of words out. Quite a few people will just gloss over your well planned and meticulously translated incantations because they aren't moving the story forward, and they aren't developing a character.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

I went with the simple route.
A word or two in Latin or some other language that means pretty much exactly what I intended to happen.

Hope my readers are up to date on their latin! ;)

While I do use latin for some things, I plan on having the spells be spoken in english just so the readers know what's coming. To my mind it's far more ominous knowing that the spell the villain cast is going to explode Gideon's heart in his chest than being kept in the dark till he starts screaming.