• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magic's Effect on Politics

arboriad

Scribe
Snowpoint make some really interesting points. I guess it boils down to the role your magicians play in terms of the theology, or lack thereof, in your world.

I could easily see kings and kingdoms embroiled in their own statecraft, and magicians and their ilk living in an alternate and overlapping hierarchy i.e, a form of shadow government with or without the shadow. Since magicians use the world and interact with it differently to men, and again it depends on your story, I can see how they would be animated by the same desires and passions as men, but have different goals because new or different horizons are available to them.

Another comment in this thread pointed out about magicians needing to keep their skills honed; that strikes me as particularly fascinating. In the same way that the King's champion would need to continually prove himself to maintain his position, I would imagine that a mage in any position would have to work just as equally hard to maintain it. So there would be magician's arenas as frequently attended as jousts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My wizards are basically Jedi. They have their own form of government, and they serve to protect the realm, not interfere with its inner workings. Their long life span basically means that they care little for the politics of the mortal races, because they can fade in the lifetime of a wizard.