• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Manuscript Question

Addison

Auror
Hi everyone.

I have to make this short, I'm posting amidst a mountain of chores and work. But I recently came across something I can't find an answer to.

When you submit a manuscript I know it's supposed to be in a format, following a guide line. One-inch margins, double spaced, size 12 Times New Roman font, your last name and title of the book at the top of the page with the page number in top right corner. Printed on only one side of the page.

But what about the first page of chapters? I usually start mine by typing Chapter 1, 2 whatever in the top, center, then going down a few spaces and start typing, aligned left. But then I wondered if I was doing it right. Is there a number of spaces to put between the chapter title and the first sentence? And what about drop-caps? Is it okay to use those in a manuscript or are those added later?

Devora

Sage
If you're gonna be submitting to an agent you should use proper manuscript formatting, otherwise they will not read your work.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
To my knowledge, the start of a new chapter should be roughly halfway down the page, with the title two lines above the text. I have no idea about drop caps, but I'd play it safe and leave them out of your manuscript.