• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Map building?

Does anybody have any recommendations when it comes to software to make maps on the computer? Right now mine is just hand written, but Paint just aint gonna cut it! also....im not sure if i posted this in the right section, but i couldnt really make it fit anywhere else...

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I am sure that this question fits into World Building just fine, Wiggles!! =)

Well, I have never tried to draw a map with any kind of software, and really I am sure that you will have a deeper and stronger connection to your World if you draw the maps with your own hands, traditional paper and pencil, and also it's great to colour it yourself- If you want, then you can scan it and share it as a .jpg file (there is a thread to share maps, somewhere!!) that's what I would do.

My maps are paper and ink, I would never try to make maps any other way =)

I'd recommend GIMP, it's open-source (free), and fairly easy to learn. It has layers, paintbrushes, and plenty of filters to play around with. Can also mess around with contrast/brightness, etc. Obviously it's not Photoshop, but unless you want to pirate, (or have the money), then GIMP is the next best thing so far as I'm aware. I've been using it for a few years now, personally.
Link:
GIMP - Downloads
Click on the windows installer link (if you're on windows, that is).

You should also be able to find some decent documentation for it:
GNU Image Manipulation Program

CMSikora

Acolyte
If you don't have Photoshop, then Gimp looks like it has most of the basic tools. Just scan in your drawn copy and trace over it on a new layer (I use the polygonal lasso). I recommend doing the tracing, coloring, etc on different layers each. Go to dafont.com for a good font to use (although I'm not sure if the software words with gimp). Add some textures to make it look authentic and voila! It should look gorgeous.

Example: (Yes. Tis mine. Pretty?)
Firebound-World-Map---Kindred.jpg

I've only experimented with it a little, but I've read good things about AutoRealm. It's geared more towards making maps than Gimp (which is a generic image editor) and from what little I've done with it, it appears to be a good tool for the job.

RK-Summers

Scribe
I've always wanted to create a map for Albion, but I can't draw to save my life. I asked a 'friend' if she would draw one for me, because she's a fantastic artist, but she keeps conveniently forgetting...

ps, Albion is the name of the world in my book, The Albion Pages.