• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Master List of "Stock" Fantasy Races (And Creatures?)

BearBear

Archmage
I'm not sure I saw this one, but in second season of Shield Hero there is a race of Ghosts that survive on spiritual energy.

I would also like to add genetically modified humans and of those you can derive many listed and others limited only by your imagination.

A race of idenical androgynous clones.
SNAIL GIRLS (or other mollusks)
SLIME GIRLS
CAT GIRLS (or other anthros of various degrees)
Other Demi-humans
If they were said before, they deserve to be mentioned again.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I would think a trip through the various monster manuals of DnD would produce all of these and some that are not here.

And in that huge list above, we are missing bigfoot. He is such an elusive bastard.

That's more of a list of elves in someone's specific world. I thought this thread was to serve as a resource for "stock" fantasy types, to serve as reference. Though I do rather like the phrase Sky High Elves. It's the elves whom orcs have just blown up. <g>
lol, hence my name, high elves tend to be storm elementals

LieutenantWolf34

Troubadour
Monsters made up of tentacles I believe are relatively common. Whether you call them Shoggoths or something else is entirely up to the author of course but I believe they are common enough to be considered stock.

Redfrogcrab

Troubadour
Aliens are technically fantasy, right?

Whatever, here's a list:
-rubber forehead aliens (humans but with weird foreheads)
-anthropomorphic terran fauna
-sentient goop
-exposed brain heads
- grey aliens (the classic grey humanoids with black, pupilless eyes and large heads)
-reptoids
-cosmic horrors beyond our comprehension
-Martians
-insectoids
-sentient *insert typical inanimate object here*
-cyborgs
-furries (the internet subculture kind) or humanoid terran critters
-plant people
-man-eating plants
-giant cephalopod-like aliens
-human-looking aliens (literally just ya standard Terran but from another planet that individually evolved Terran humans)
-fish people

oh boy does the list keep on going

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Aliens are technically fantasy, right?

Whatever, here's a list:
-rubber forehead aliens (humans but with weird foreheads)
-anthropomorphic terran fauna
-sentient goop
-exposed brain heads
- grey aliens (the classic grey humanoids with black, pupilless eyes and large heads)
-reptoids
-cosmic horrors beyond our comprehension
-Martians
-insectoids
-sentient *insert typical inanimate object here*
-cyborgs
-furries (the internet subculture kind) or humanoid terran critters
-plant people
-man-eating plants
-giant cephalopod-like aliens
-human-looking aliens (literally just ya standard Terran but from another planet that individually evolved Terran humans)
-fish people

oh boy does the list keep on going
Apart from 'cosmic horrors beyond our comprehension' and 'reptoids' (in a sideways sort of way) none of those aliens are even close to those in my 'Empire' series.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
We have wandered far from a consideration of "stock" fantasy creatures. That's fine, but having a list of what is generally (with plenty of room at the edges for disagreement) considered "stock" can be useful, especially for a new-to-fantasy writer.

(also, +1 for dessert elves)

BJ Swabb

Sage
Types of Elves:

Sun Elves: Live in forests that are always fall, have sun magic
Moon Elves: Lives in Purple mystical forests, have moon magic
High/Sky Elves (Grey Elves): Lives in mostly in mountains but can be anywhere, uses storm magic
Wood Elves (Green Elves): Lives in thick wooded forests, usually fauna & flora druids
Dark Elves: They are not well known but are evil, and very powerful. Some are still immortal.
Astral Elves: Also known as Nebulans, the astral elves live in floating asteroids that span across
Snow Elves: Living in cold, snowy environments, the snow elves use water magic

PLEASE NOTE: snow elves are not Christmas elves. Christmas elves are cursed faen)
PLEASE NOTE: Desert elves are not a thing; they tend to be sun elves living in deserts

NOT ELVES: Faen R not elves (fairy people that resemble insects)
NOT ELVES: Sea Elves R not elves (merfolk that may have descended from elves)

As this is your opinion. But in fact that elves are elves. LOL. And if you want to really get into this, I believe you can create whatever creatures / races you want. So saying there is no such thing as a Snow Elf, I disagree. They may not be Christmas Elves in which in my book series Christmas Elves are a kind of elf known as Sprite Elves which are little tiny children looking elves with magical abilities. It is good to create your own versions of things and not stick to the basic and normal. At least that is what I believe.