• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Little List of Immortalities

JBCrowson

Troubadour
In my universe demons are sort of like that - their bodies regenerate from any injury. They can only be destroyed by elder gods. As demons have no soul, at the core of their being is a fragment of the void (they are also known as children of the void for that reason). The elder gods are those who originally emerged from the void and can rend the demons, returning the void fragment within them to the external void, ending their existence.

Regular mortals have papers (like a cosmic birth certificate) created by Life when they are born. The papers are given to Death who holds them until the mortal dies when the papers draw the soul to Death's realm and the afterlife. At one point a mage sneaks into Death's realm and steals her papers, effectively rendering her unable to die.

Reactions: Ban
But what if the body will not die regardless of which tactic is used? The only way to survive it is to outlive the mind that operates it. Haven't seen a monster like that yet, though I reckon it would make a terrifying slasher.
Then you’re no longer talking about flesh and blood mortals, animals and humans, that’s going into god-like beings who are already endless and immortal in the sense of your average concept of the undead, zombies, upyr etc.

But it’d be interesting to invent a zombie that was once mortal, that then becomes truly immortal. I would watch a reinvention of Dawn of the Dead if that were the case. But then once you get rid of the head, what does it become?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Then you’re no longer talking about flesh and blood mortals, animals and humans, that’s going into god-like beings who are already endless and immortal in the sense of your average concept of the undead, zombies, upyr etc.

But it’d be interesting to invent a zombie that was once mortal, that then becomes truly immortal. I would watch a reinvention of Dawn of the Dead if that were the case. But then once you get rid of the head, what does it become?
Well yeah, something that is physically immortal would not be a flesh and blood mortal. A more traditional undead immortality is listed in the original post. When I said a type of zombie I'm referring to its mindless immortality. I think the idea of a corpse that can never decompose has an eery quality of its own. The flesh can never cease but the mind is long gone.