• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Merlin

Chilari

Staff
Actually, one of my favourite episodes is from season 5 - when Mordred reappears. I won't spoil it for you, but I liked the dynamic between the characters. I quite like Gwaine's first appearance too. In fact, all of his appearances. He's my favourite knight.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Chilari, I also love Gwaine and he is one of my favorite characters =)

My fav episodes from Season 1 are: A Remedy to Cure all Ills, The Gates of Avalon, To Kill the King and Le Morte d'Arthur. Season 2 also features great episodes, from which my favs are, absolutely, the two parts of Beauty and the Beast.

The series is fascinating, and my only complain about it is that I find it really frustrating to watch how Merlin saves Arthur, Uther and Camelot from total disaster (over and over again!) and they have no idea about what really happens, only Gaius knows the secret!!

I mean, Arthur and Uther are so clueless that sometimes I want to jump into the screen and shake them, screaming: Merlin is a powerful sorcerer, and he has been saving your lives so many times!

Merlin's magical powers must remain a secret, but still, sometimes it's so frustrating...

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I have been watching the fourth season of Merlin at last after a very long wait, but sadly, I have to report that I am not liking these episodes at all and I am rather disappointed with the series.

The fourth season so far lacks the sparks, great stories and good humor of the first three seasons, something changed and now the story is just too grim and dark. I hated that Lancelot died, now I hate Morgana and, despite the fact that I hated Uther before, I felt really sorry when he died.

This new character Agravaine just popped out of nowhere, like a device to let Morgana spy on Camelot and allow her to deliver all of these machiavellian attacks...

I watched Lancelot du Lac yesterday and hated it even worse... is the rest of the series really that bad?

Ophiucha

Auror
is the rest of the series really that bad?

Yes. The season finales are usually good, but the twenty episodes that precede them for the last two seasons are just... ugh. Particularly the last season. I just skipped three episodes in the middle somewhere just to get to the end a little faster.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I watched A Herald of the New Age yesterday and liked it, because it was funnier and also it featured a more positive energy than the previous episodes of the fourth season. I want to watch The Hunter's Heart tonight, and then report my opinion about it tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me know that I can expect more of the same style of grim, dark episodes in this season and the next... That's really sad for me, but I loved the first three seasons so much that now I want to be loyal to the end.

The season finale The Sword in the Stone sounds interesting, I cannot wait to watch it =)

Firekeeper

Troubadour
One of my favorite series of all time. I have seen almost every episode and they are just fantastic, they have all the things I love in fantasy: Castles, dragons, magic, swordfights etc. Love the humor, and this Morgana is one of the most intriguing characters I have come across in a long time. I love villains who you can sympathize with; she didn't set out to be evil. All she ever wanted was to be accepted, and being constantly confronted by Uther's cruelty made her twisted with hate. An absolutely wonderful character (and it doesn't hurt that Katie McGrath is absolutely gorgeous)

But....a couple of complaints (don't read unless you have seen the series finale):

I was disappointed with the way they handled Merlin's reveal of his magic. I love that Gwen figured it out herself, but why oh why could they have let that happen halfway through the season. It would have been so entertaining to have her find out and then have to keep it from Arthur; there could have been so many storylines and jokes about her and Merlin keeping the secret from Arthur together. They really dropped the ball on this, Gwen and Merlin had a special connection going back to season one, they could have at least allowed her and Merlin to have one conversation where the cat was out of the bag and Merlin could be himself in front of her

And I think everyone was hoping for at least one adventure with Merlin and Arthur where Arthur knew about Merlin's magic and they fought as a team. Yeah, they kind of had this a little bit but Arthur was injured and dying and never got comfortable with Merlin's magic. I was hoping for one adventure where Arthur knew and embraced Merlin's gifts, and they fought side by side.

I also was hoping for a big sword fight between Arthur and Mordred. All they did was stand there a stab each other. Really felt anticlimactic. Same for Merlin and Morgana. I was hoping for an epic wizard duel, the Last High Priestess vs. Emrys. Could have been epic. Instead all we had was Merlin stabbing her. What was with all the standing-there-and-stabbing with these last fights? It's like the directer just didn't care and wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible. I did like how Merlin said he blamed himself for what she'd become, and my heart was breaking as he told her goodbye. Such deep and well developed characters, they deserved more out of this finale. It was all just too rushed.

Last edited:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I have watched the fourth season finale The Sword in the Stone last night, and its two parts have been, by far, my favorite episodes of the entire season. This has compensated for the eleven preceding bad episodes, so now I can understand and appreciate better the changes that have taken place in the story.

My favorite part was when the Dragon attacked and destroyed Agravaine's soldiers (I was cheering!) and also when Merlin killed Agravaine with Magic, good riddance! Tristan and Isolde were really cool characters, so sorry to watch Isolde dying. Everything in this finale was really well done, and I am left wondering what will happen now that Aithusa seems to be loyal to Morgana.

Morgana is... way too evil now.

I liked the evil version of Morgana when she appeared and I understand her reasons to be like that, but she has gone too far. I think that she is obsessed and crazy more than smart and cunning, and that she would be more successful in her schemes if she thought them out a little better.

Well, Arthur has his Queen Guinevere at last... Now, I have to watch the fifth season =)