• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Monsters, Maces and Magic: Revived has been released

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Normally, I'm a bit reluctant to read LitRPG, owing to issues with translating game mechanics into credible characters, but I will add this series to the pile anyhow. Been making it a point this past year or two to read a couple books from Mythic Scribes published authors.

TWErvin2

Auror
Thank you, Reaver :)

ThinkerX, I appreciate your willingness to consider giving Outpost a try. I think you will find that a good balance between game and game meachanices and the charaters and their story.

Pmmg, giving Outpost a try and sharing the postive words is very much appreciated!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Okay...read the first three books in the 'Monsters, Maces, and Magic' series, and I have to say...

...I am impressed.

Good characterization, and I like the way the characters actually ponder the heavy-handed game mechanics that rule their current existences - everything from being able to pull that sword/shield off their backs to the drop in IQ to the lady who suffers no body pain from the giant breasts. Not to mention the whole building in a swamp thing. The vast bulk of Lit-RPG books I have read tend to get into min-maxing; you mostly avoided that.

As it is, I suspect the 'game world' is entirely a mental construct (how else to explain the absurdities?) and that only a portion of the players essences are trapped in this...world. The 'real people' are likely still going about their lives, unaware of what is going on. (That is just me.)

Likewise, you managed to avoid the grammar bugs common to other indie works - congrats to having a good editor.

The various inter-character disputes came across as credible (though Staci's complaints wore on me after a while).

I would have expected more in the way of shock and confusion upon being dropped into the game world - but in that case there'd have been more dead players.

All in all, this series, thus far, makes my top bracket of works produced by Mythic Scribe authors - a category with very little company.

TWErvin2

Auror
Okay...read the first three books in the 'Monsters, Maces, and Magic' series, and I have to say...

...I am impressed.

Good characterization, and I like the way the characters actually ponder the heavy-handed game mechanics that rule their current existences - everything from being able to pull that sword/shield off their backs to the drop in IQ to the lady who suffers no body pain from the giant breasts. Not to mention the whole building in a swamp thing. The vast bulk of Lit-RPG books I have read tend to get into min-maxing; you mostly avoided that.

As it is, I suspect the 'game world' is entirely a mental construct (how else to explain the absurdities?) and that only a portion of the players essences are trapped in this...world. The 'real people' are likely still going about their lives, unaware of what is going on. (That is just me.)

Likewise, you managed to avoid the grammar bugs common to other indie works - congrats to having a good editor.

The various inter-character disputes came across as credible (though Staci's complaints wore on me after a while).

I would have expected more in the way of shock and confusion upon being dropped into the game world - but in that case there'd have been more dead players.

All in all, this series, thus far, makes my top bracket of works produced by Mythic Scribe authors - a category with very little company.
ThinkerX,

I truly appreciate your willingness to give my Monsters, Maces and Magic Series a try, and I am glad to know that you enjoyed the first three books.

I tried to blend the best of LitRPG and a fantasy novels, and I appreciate that you found it good the way the charcters worked within the quirks of the RPG world they found themselves in. I won't comment on the mental construct or not, as it will be resolved in the final book in the series.

My publisher has several freelance editors, and they're all pretty pretty sharp.

The characterization and the internal dispustes and grumblings and such, I thought would be important in the storytelling and would guide the plot and legitimate conflicts.
I thought about the shock and confusion of being dropped into an RPG, and faced with a life or death situation shortly thereafter. And how players in the bodies of their characters would respond. You're right, it could've gone much worse. But just as some of the elf or gnome tendencies affect the players, so does their being adventurers. It influences their ability to deal with the horror and violence living in such an RPG world presents on a regular basis, even if they weren't out adventuring. And I think that some gamers have a flexible mind, and have even thought of what it would be like to be in a game world. That might've helped some too.

Thank you for the comments and for the complement on the quality of the tales told. :) The goal is to have readers enjoy the tales and come away entertained, and believing that reading was worth investing their time and monetary resources.

Terry