• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

More Random Musings.

Queshire

Istar
This is pretty much just make-work but I figure I'd just write out all that I've figured out for my story so far, using you fine folks as a sounding board. Again, questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated!

CHARACTERS:

-Arthur Jones: An average high school student destined to live a life as an extra in someone else's story. That changed when he was chosen as a Champion and forced to fight to save the world. He signed up for the whole champion gig in what he thought was a dream, but since he's already signed up he's decided to do the best that he can. His power is Barriers, often considered a useless and lame power by other Champions, he likes it for it's nonviolent nature and how it requires him to use his head to fight. Attitude-wise he's a good natured, somewhat of a trickster type character, just accepting whatever comes his way with a simple smile, which some find creepy. I'm trying for sort of a Doctor from Doctor Who type feel with him but I dunno....

-The Void Princess: Arthur's sponsoring Arcana, who as the name suggests rules over the void. She's still pretty new and inexperienced at her job, and is considered something of a laughing stock by the other Arcana. She's pretty naive at times, thinking that the Enemy Arcana are completely horrible while the Arcana on her side can do no evil, while it's really pretty grey. For a near god like being she has a number of self-esteem issues.

-Bob the Blob: Arthur's vaguely cryptic and ultimately useless sidekick as well as the narrator of the story. Arthur jokingly requested him when chosen instead of just being told about his powers, much to his regret. He's rather snarky and sarcastic. I'm still not sure whether to include him or not, he doesn't serve much of a point... I could give all Champions some kind of guide but I dunno, I'm worried that he'd just end up as the scrappy...

-Sera White: Another Champion and Arthur's main love intrest / rival. She was given healing and buffing powers to act as a typical staff chick, but instead she just uses them to give herself superstrength and regeneration and fight the monsters mano-a-womano. She's stubborn, energetic, a bit of a show off, and a wee bit crazy. She's actually pretty smart, especially with how she uses her powers, but mostly she just prefers to use a brute force approach to all her problems.

-Michael Bel: Multi-billioniare CEO of the Mega Coorperation Bel Corp which in the last ten years advanced all areas of human technology by decades. The success of Bel Corp actually resulted from technology derived from the powers of the Champions and the Monsters they fight. Michael himself is actually a Champion himself with the power of Light, though he's since retired due to a nasty wound he got slaying a dragon. He acts as the head of what is essentially a support organization for Champions which the main characters. He's a classic knight in shining armor type character, and I'm considering making Sera have a crush on him, however in the end he's planning to kill the existing Arcana, an action that has equal chance of giving him and his followers the Arcana's power or destroying all existence. He's the series' big bad.

-Galatea: Not a living person, but a golem brought to life by the power of her "father" an old man Champion who's power let's him bring inanimate objects to life. Galatea is her father's prized creation in which he imbued most of his power. She's not as purely strong as Sera, but has a better grasp of tatics and a suit of inbuilt weaponry to suit her needs. Where as Sera would be a Barbarian, she's a more classical Fighter. She's rather stern, and at times seems emotionless but beneath her stony exterior has a rather... interesting sense of humor. Her subplot includes dealing with the fact that she veiws herself as just a doll, and the fact that as a creation of her father's power she thinks she'll die when he does. (Hint, hint: she doesn't)

-"Honya" (temporary name): A shy bookworm, whose power is naturally enough Books. This primarily means she can access the Arkaishic Records, allowing her to find just about whatever information she needs if she can ask the right questions and physically enter the Records which acts like L-space in the Discworld series. More offensively, she can "rewrite" the story by editing the Akaishic Records, in the form of taking over narrating duties for a sort time.

-"Mama Bear" (temporary name): A semi-retired Champion, after her husband and fellow Champion dies she retires to a quiet life running a resturant, (her dead husband's life long dream) in Arthur's town. She comes out of retirement a ways into the series to lead Arthur's squad in the search for the macguffins. Her power is Destruction, which as the name suggests is very, very destructive, but can also be used for healing by somehow destroying destruction (don't think about it too hard.) She's still pretty broken from the death of her husband, spending a lot of time drinking or sleeping. She has a reputation as something of a crotchy old lady (despite only being in her thirties)

-"The Accountant" (temporary name): One of Bel's assitants, He's a champion though he's not that interested in fighting. His power is Money and he can do just about anything provided he's given enough money.

-"The Jester" (temporary name): Another member of Arthur's squad. I'm still working on this guy, so far I've thought that he's either a comedian or wants to be a comedian but ironically his power is specifically geared for stealth not quite invisibilty but more of a someone-else's-problem field. I'm thinking he'd start out as a spy for Bel, but sides with the heros.

-"The Penguin" (temporary name): I kind of feeling like I'm including this guy for no particular reason, but oh well, he's an actual Penguin as the Champions don't have to be human, part of becoming a Champion let's him talk. His power allows him to control temperatures, freezing or baking whatever he needs to.

-The Devil: Not the true devil, but an Arcana, I'm considering changing the name but I don't know to what. He was a champion who killed his own Arcana and took the Arcana's place, thus inspiring Michael Bel's master plan. As the only one to become an Arcana by this method, he's considered something of a Black Sheep among both sides of the Arcana, a postion he uses to play both sides off each other. I'm not quite sure what his ultimate role in the story will be, he'll certainly show up a couple of times to offer advice to the heros. If I don't have Bob be the narrator this guy will be it.

-The Arcana: God-like beings that ensure that the world keeps spining, they empower mortals as Champions. Sortly after time began they split into two groups and began fighting, they consider it a fight of good vs evil and order vs chaos, in a chess motif, but deep down they're all the same shades of gray.

Queshire

Istar
PLOTS:

Book / season 1: Arthur gets chosen as a Champion. Most of this book is learning how to be a champion, using his powers, fighting off monsters, dealing with a rival in the form of Sera, ending in a monumentous boss fight against a giant monster forcing Arthur and Sera to team up.

Book / season 2: Here's were the world starts to open up a bit. Arthur and Sera are currently still rivals though more of a friendly rivalry. They're approached by a representative from Bel's Champion organization. This is the first Arthur's heard of the wider world of Champions, they tried to approach Sera before but she automatically attacked them because that's just the way she is. With Arthur's interference the representative actually has a chance to talk. They learn of Bel's organization, a union of Champions providing them with information and support. More concerningly though, they're informed about a comet that passes near the earth every 108 or so years. While to most of the world it's just the Haley Comet's less famous cousin for those "in the know" it's refered to as The Demon Moon. The corpse of a dead Arcana flying through space, when it appears in the sky the Monsters go on a rampage, resulting in a week of desperate nonstop fighting against crazier then normal monsters. It's like the monsters have a set of rules that they abide by but when The Demon Moon appears it all goes out of the window. Most of the book is spent in training and preparing for the arrival of The Demon Moon with the festival of blood serving as the climax. Arthur & Sera go from rivals to friends.

Book / season X: Something of a breather episode, or extra, I'm not sure if it's enough to serve as a full book or just be something seperate. Maybe a collection of shorter arcs or stories set over summer vacation... Some ideas include; Arthur being approached by a member of a cult dedicated to The Void Princess who wants to find out if he's "worthy" of being Her Champion, he's dragged to their secret temple in the Himalayas and put through a stupid battery of tests and trials but in the meantime learns more about his powers, his Arcana, and the champions that came before him. Sera goes home, we learn more about her backstory. Despite her tough exterior she comes from old money, American Aristocracy, though her family's company is suffering thanks to the success of the Bel coorperation. We also learn that before she was Chosen as a Champion she was in the hospital with some incurable disease or gentetic defect, (I need to do more research on that) and it was though that she wouldn't live to be 21 it's only thanks to her power that's she's alive and as active as she is, admittedly the whole dying in the hospital before she got her powers is stolen directly from The Lucifer and The Biscuit Hammer, but still. Arthur & Sera are invited to an all expanses paid cruise by the Bel coorperation that serves as a gathering / convention for Champions to talk shop. Some other stories introducing some other champions.

Book / Season 3: Arthur & Sera are put on a squad of Champions designed to collect a sereies of Macguffins which when combined would stop the threat of the Monsters forever, or so Bel claims. Pretty simple couple of dungeon dives for the first couple of Macguffins, something seems a bit wonky but they don't mind.

Book / Season 4: Still looking for more macguffins, the deeper they dig the wonkier things seem, this culminates in them discovering that all the Champions were just pawns in the squabbles between the Arcana. The very same Arcana that empowered them have been sending the same type of Monsters that they've been fighting against the Champions of other Arcana. They feel betrayed. When they tell Bel about what they found out, he tells them that he already knew, while deplorable, he couldn't tell the other Champions for fear of what they would do when they know. The macguffins they've been collecting are actually parts of a device that would free humanity from the binds of the Arcana's game.

Book / Season 5: Full of rightous indignation against their Arcana puppetmasters, the heros set out to find the remaining macguffins. Arthur's not quite convinced though, as he's had more interaction with his Arcana then the other Champs.

Book / Season 6: While the rest of the group continues looking for the Macguffins, Arthur tries to talk to the Arcana, all the Arcana and get to the truth, what he finds is unpleasant, despite their power the Arcana are still depreasingly human with all their failings, and Bel's plan, essentially declaring war against the Arcana, is way too extreme and risks destroying the world.

Book / Season 7: Finding out the truth of Bel's plan, Arthur has to race to stop him, facing former friends and allies along the way to stop humanity's invasion of the Over World before it can begin!

That's what I have so far, again questions, comments, and suggestions are welcome! More particularily, should I include Bob the Blob in my story? I mean, he really doesn't serve much purpose and I could have some other character act as narrator, or just have the narrator be the narrator without having a specific character.

Corvus

Scribe
Sounds good so far. I enjoy plots where the protagonist helps the villain convinced he's doing the right thing then has to race against time to make things right. Especially if the reader doesn't know the character the MC is helping is the villain.

I like Bob the Blob. Maybe have him be bossy, sort of like: "No you have to do things these way." But he can't actually do anything, so you're MC gets annoyed whit him. Could lead to some comical dialog, if it fits in to you're story.