• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Are these all the 'types' of martial artist in fiction? Are there any more?

The Bloodthirsty: Sees their martial arts (whatever it is, let's throw swordsmanship in there too) as a way to kill their foes and gain power/renown.
The Competitor: Sees martial arts as an avenue for contests, may or may not overlap with the other types.
The Exile: "ten years ago, I committed a crime, now I live in exile to punish myself, if you wish to learn from me, you need balls"
The Noble: Fights in the name of justice to protect others.
The Journeyman: A martial artist who for some reason thinks traveling everywhere on foot will make them a better fighter. Even if it took them three days to cross the pacific, they still aren't strong enough.
The Soul Seeker: Goes on a deep, personal journey of self reflection (Common example being Ryu from street fighter) comes back home even more badass than they were to begin with. Or potentially becoming evil (Also Ryu)
The Reluctant Storm: Outwardly weak, but break that final straw, watch out.

Fyri

Inkling
You may also have:

Hobbyist: Character learned martial arts because it was fun and cool (like any other sport). If neurodivergent, may be a special interest or hyperfocus.

Self defense: They were a target growing up and needed to learn self defense martial arts for survival. (Women or bullied kids?)

Reluctant: Parents or other forced them to learn simply by pressure and expectations

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Happy Warrior: one with a happy spirit, enjoys the give and take, remains generous and encouraging, almost childlike in the acceptance and appreciation of the challenges before them.

Along with that, grumpy warrior. Maybe once a happy warrior ;) now jaded and unexcited about the fight. Seen and heard it all before. But still must because it never ends.

I feel i should answer the question above as: there are probably endless possibilities. I believe i could pop up 20 with little effort, its not so easy typing on the phone. So maybe later.

I don’t know why I am adding one, martial arts is not an interest of mine - but a general trope that is also seen in martial arts films etc is the hereditary gift. Their dead father was a jujitsu master or something, so they already have the innate ability in their blood. Also often seems to be a way for the individual to ‘bond’ or ‘connect’ with a person they never knew.

Fyri

Inkling
Suddenly I just want to say "Look at Naruto" and find all the reasons each ninja started their own paths to became ninjas.

Dont have to be about MA. Many personality and character types could apply.
Yes, that's why I mentioned martial artist characters specifically, the personality/character itself can literally be whatever. Could literally be a black belt chicken, who's a ladies man, but there are 'features' of character types (The spy, the martial artist etc) that people recognize in most depictions. A lot of them are called tropes, but some of them are just straight up parts of a trope rather than the entire thing.

I'm talking about the trends that people tend to lean on when depicting a MA or any talented person like that.
Suddenly I just want to say "Look at Naruto" and find all the reasons each ninja started their own paths to became ninjas.
fair point ._. although with Naruto I thought it was more like 'oh this is just how we live' though they do have their own motivations for joining.

Hmmm. Now I'm curious as to your purpose. Why are you looking for this info? 🤔
Trying to come up with a proper 'martial artist' type character or two for my story. The story itself is a comedy but making fun of bruce lee or something kind of feels like cheating + lazy lol

I have one or two planned already. So I was wondering how many 'versions' of that type of character there were, regardless of appearance/personality.

Fyri

Inkling
Trying to come up with a proper 'martial artist' type character or two for my story. The story itself is a comedy but making fun of bruce lee or something kind of feels like cheating + lazy lol

I have one or two planned already. So I was wondering how many 'versions' of that type of character there were, regardless of appearance/personality.
Hmmm. It could help to know what you already have planned. Often the best character is the one that contrasts, compliments, or fills a hole created by that which is already present.

Hmmm. It could help to know what you already have planned. Often the best character is the one that contrasts, compliments, or fills a hole created by that which is already present.
One of the characters is what I described as 'the reluctant storm' (A powerful fighter but their personality does NOT give that impression at all) she doesn't appear until a bit into the story.

The other one I have is somewhat a mix between the Exile (he lives in exile due to a misunderstanding and thinks he committed a great crime) and the Soul Seeker (during the story he is going on his self reflection journey He is very annoyed at the main protagonist because a plot device is hindering his journey. I am not kidding, it's actually called a p.l.o.t. device.)

Rexenm

Inkling
There is the call to adventure, revenge, for the family name, out of desperation. But those are not martial arts styles - they are some kind of beginning, not an ending.

Fyri

Inkling
One of the characters is what I described as 'the reluctant storm' (A powerful fighter but their personality does NOT give that impression at all) she doesn't appear until a bit into the story.

The other one I have is somewhat a mix between the Exile (he lives in exile due to a misunderstanding and thinks he committed a great crime) and the Soul Seeker (during the story he is going on his self reflection journey He is very annoyed at the main protagonist because a plot device is hindering his journey. I am not kidding, it's actually called a p.l.o.t. device.)
Hmmm. Sounds like you have some relatively serious character types (unless lady-friend is a silly girl who surprises everyone with also kicking butt). I lean toward adding someone with a more casual background. Or even just less secretive/brooding. Maybe someone who is "loud" about being a great fighter. Ooh! It could also be fun to have that juxtapose your "reluctant" fighter. Have someone on the team who brags about how good they are and then they are revealed to be very mediocre.

However, new question: Why do you need more fighters/characters?

Miles Lacey

Archmage
I'm surprised no one mentioned the social climber. In a society where skill in a particular martial art is highly valued a person may undertake that martial art as a means of advancing their socio-economic status within that society.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Faithful Sidekick. Tags along with the champion, always trying to get good enough, but never quite succeeding. Still...loyal and sometimes holds their own.

Drunken Master.... Drinks too much, but somehow makes it work. Its better than they ought to be.

Meglomaniac Villain. Why is he so good? I dont know, but he kicks everyone's butt, and somehow has possession of some legendary artifact that makes him even more impossible. He enjoys taunting the MC.

Rich boy playing with toys. Has money, has learned all the skills. Is in the top 10%, but somehow his life of comforts has left him just a little too soft.

Vixen. Flirts, has curves, knows how to use them. Is a skilled fighter, but not quite champion material. Still...everyone likes her, and she enjoys the struggle.

Assassin Daughter... Saw family killed, raised by yakuza types. Cold blooded killer, has issues, but they dont show until 20 episodes in.

Must Atone. Did something awful, killed his village or the Princess or something. Is very skilled, and tries to atone with his many good deeds. Never quite feels forgiven.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Sounds like you have some relatively serious character types (unless lady-friend is a silly girl who surprises everyone with also kicking butt). I lean toward adding someone with a more casual background. Or even just less secretive/brooding. Maybe someone who is "loud" about being a great fighter. Ooh! It could also be fun to have that juxtapose your "reluctant" fighter. Have someone on the team who brags about how good they are and then they are revealed to be very mediocre.

However, new question: Why do you need more fighters/characters?
I don't know if you read it but a little while ago I made a topic about 'dragons'
Short version is that regardless of race (Dwarf, Elf, Faerie etc) there are certain members who have dragon blood either in their lineage or it's literally active in their genetic traits. The other short version is that they tend to be insanely strong, regardless of their personality or appearance. Some dragons are reluctant to use their strength to fight (due to being aware that they're basically gods themselves) but find other ways to use it that suit their personality (The bunny girl is a baker and she bakes cakes and other deserts/pastries to help improve stats. personality wise. She's the classic southern belle, sweet as a peach but push the wrong buttons and you're on thin ice, or worse.) while others lean into it and do the whole martial arts/great protector of their people thing. But when the stakes are high enough, they're comparable to actual dragons in martial prowess. Which in my setting they are the thing next closest to gods. Some dragons are even directly as strong as the gods (the elemental ones) but they don't have people who worship them.

The plot is about a prince who goes on a journey to 'tame' seven dragons, in order to become king. Of course the prince doesn't know yet what his father means by dragons, so he winds up going on the classic 'fight ever stronger monsters to become a king' journey. At least until the big bad shows up.

Fyri

Inkling
The plot is about a prince who goes on a journey to 'tame' seven dragons, in order to become king. Of course the prince doesn't know yet what his father means by dragons, so he winds up going on the classic 'fight ever stronger monsters to become a king' journey. At least until the big bad shows up.
XD Everyone wants to be a Pokemon Master! 😜

Okay! So it sounds like you're looking for character ideas to fill the rest of the seven dragons he must "tame"? That actually sounds kind of fun!

XD Everyone wants to be a Pokemon Master! 😜

Okay! So it sounds like you're looking for character ideas to fill the rest of the seven dragons he must "tame"? That actually sounds kind of fun!
If we're going for video game references, it's probably much closer to Rune Factory than pokemon :p respect the hustle though. Particularly the bonding with complete strangers to make the protagonist stronger, thankfully no amnesia XD

And yeah, what's hitching me up. The rest of the dragons don't appear until later in the story, I'd say around the halfway point, so I got time to plan them. The first Male dragon appears fairly early (literally one of the first few characters we're introduced to) but it's kept secret from both the prince and the reader. (until female lead asks about it in private, and even then it's only vaguely discussed between the two. more eagle eyed readers might figure it out early though. which is the intention of that scene to begin with.) the first female dragon appears chapter 2 or 3 ish, so I have time to sort her out. The only thing I know is she's an outcast in a warrior clan (typical amazon race, except attractive bunny girls for zero reason other than it amuses me. Also to contrast the concept that bunny girls are meant to be more erotic than powerful.) and a southern belle archetype who's good at desert making.