• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Types/Rules of Magic

RK-Summers

Scribe
Evening all!

I'm currently writing up the "rules" of magic for my world. Thus far, there are five categories. I've essentially written a thesis on the subject.

However, I have hit a small snag. Can someone provide their opinions on the difference between glamour and shape-shifting for me? Is there a difference at all? Glamour would denote fae magic, while shape-shifting (to me) has negative connotations. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Glamour to me implies not so much shape shifting as it does wearing a very impressive mask of magic. Shape shifting is not a mask, but changing the entire form. At least that's how I think it works. No positive or negative unless you're speaking of the likes of werewolves and changelings and other sorts who are malevolent.

Glamour to me seems like an illusion, or something concealing the true form inside, usually in a more "beautiful" way. Shapeshifting to me is like actually altering the person/being, whether physically, emotionally, or mentally, or all three.

ScaryMJDiamcreep

Troubadour
I agree with the others, and also think it's important to bring up another thing: fae often have negative connotations, even if creatures that fall under the category of fae have more positive ones. Talking about a fairy will, until proven otherwise, bring to my mind mild and useful magic and benevolent spirits, but once you tack on the fae tag, it becomes easier to imagine sharp teeth and kidnapping. And while pixies are mischievous, it's minor pranks that normally aren't intended to cause harm, but once you say fae, the pranks imagined become more deadly, more along the lines of thousand-year naps than just hiding your keys inside your boot.

I agree with the above! Glamour feels like dressing yourself up, putting on a mask, or illusion magic, to appear as more than what you are. Shapeshifting, on the other hand, sounds like transforming your being into some other being.

Also, for what it's worth, glamour feels like fairy magic and shapeshifting feels like you're going to morph into an animal, which would make me assume it's druid magic. But maybe I just play too many video games.

EponasSong

Scribe
To me glamor is merely changing the appearance of an object (usually for a certain amount of time). Shape shifting is actually changing the object (either temporarily or permanently).

Well Glamour magic is like a magic disguise. You can look exactly like someone else. Change the appearance of an object
Shape-sifting - you actual transform something permanently or for an extended amount of time.

NetherLord

Acolyte
Glamour to me implies not so much shape shifting as it does wearing a very impressive mask of magic. Shape shifting is not a mask, but changing the entire form. At least that's how I think it works. No positive or negative unless you're speaking of the likes of werewolves and changelings and other sorts who are malevolent.
Interesting, I would argue the warewolf could be more interesting as a glamor it would explain how the wolf gets back into man's skin. That being the man never lost his skin.

Perhaps, but I was basing that answer on how they are generally used in fiction. Which is usually by bite or the like or genetics in a way. Though there is the wearing of a wolf skin version which is close to how I think of glamour. As far as I could tell this was a general sort of question for opinions. And I tend to associate glamour with the Fey and using it as an enhancements.

Gotis

Scribe
In my world shape shifting is too change your physical form while a glamour alters other people's perception of you. For example, if a man needs to appear as a little boy and applied a glamor, he would have to be careful about physical contact. If someone tried to pat him on the head, their hand would bump the man's stomach or chest. That incongruity would break the illusion and reveal his true form. If he had shape shifted, the head pat would go off without a hitch. Shape shifting is much harder to learn and much more limited. He could only look like himself at a young age, whereas with a glamor he could look like any child.