• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Are these all the 'types' of martial artist in fiction? Are there any more?

Fyri

Inkling
Hmm! Yeah! In that case, I guess you'll really just want interesting characters, not necessarily fighter types.

Anyone can become a martial artist if they have a good enough reason. It might be better to start with the type of person you want these later dragons to be. Who would be more interesting for your existing characters to interact with? After figuring that out, then you can fill in their backstory and what kind of martial artist they are.

You might even (if you are brave enough) go around and ask people in real life dojos why they study their chosen art. (You might even study them as a person a little. Writers are detectives~ Just don't look too suspicious. 😜)

Hmm! Yeah! In that case, I guess you'll really just want interesting characters, not necessarily fighter types.

Anyone can become a martial artist if they have a good enough reason. It might be better to start with the type of person you want these later dragons to be. Who would be more interesting for your existing characters to interact with? After figuring that out, then you can fill in their backstory and what kind of martial artist they are.

You might even (if you are brave enough) go around and ask people in real life dojos why they study their chosen art. (You might even study them as a person a little. Writers are detectives~ Just don't look too suspicious. 😜)
The dragon 'race' (that's in quotes cause it's multiple species involved and not a unified race like elves etc) have an innate desire for self betterment. So I was thinking some of them could lean into that through martial arts. I am not just talking about kung fu MA, though. Boxing, Wrestling, gymnastics, etc any sport like that.

The first Male dragon is a blacksmith, for example specifically for swords, and he trains in the way of the sword because, if you don't know how to USE the damn thing, how are you meant to craft it yourself. (at least by his logic, it's fairly sound logic anyway lol) Often he asks the people who commission him for a blade to craft their own first. This bugs the swordsmen/women who hire him for work, but it's well worth the effort. As he often is able to discern weaknesses in their fighting style, cause he always tasks them with crafting a blade that suits it. The weapon they wind up getting isn't always what they expect, but it winds up perfectly suited for their abilities anyhow.

Similarly the first female dragon is a patissier. Now, she is not one to get into a punch up, if she can avoid it. So she uses her deserts n stuff to improve other people's fighting capabilities.

Gurkhal

Auror
When reading the start of the thread all I could think about was the RPG called "Feng Shui". Brings back memories. :)

Fyri

Inkling
The dragon 'race' (that's in quotes cause it's multiple species involved and not a unified race like elves etc) have an innate desire for self betterment. So I was thinking some of them could lean into that through martial arts. I am not just talking about kung fu MA, though. Boxing, Wrestling, gymnastics, etc any sport like that.

The first Male dragon is a blacksmith, for example specifically for swords, and he trains in the way of the sword because, if you don't know how to USE the damn thing, how are you meant to craft it yourself. (at least by his logic, it's fairly sound logic anyway lol) Often he asks the people who commission him for a blade to craft their own first. This bugs the swordsmen/women who hire him for work, but it's well worth the effort. As he often is able to discern weaknesses in their fighting style, cause he always tasks them with crafting a blade that suits it. The weapon they wind up getting isn't always what they expect, but it winds up perfectly suited for their abilities anyhow.

Similarly the first female dragon is a patissier. Now, she is not one to get into a punch up, if she can avoid it. So she uses her deserts n stuff to improve other people's fighting capabilities.
Ooooh. I like the Gymnastics idea. Kinda reminds me of Tai Lee from Avatar TLA. One of them could simply be a circus monkey!

Ooooh. I like the Gymnastics idea. Kinda reminds me of Tai Lee from Avatar TLA. One of them could simply be a circus monkey!
Yeah, basically any sport that could be warped into some form of martial arts lol. Gymnastics makes the most sense out of my ideas, but wrestling is pretty up there too, only in this universe it isn't staged.

Fyri

Inkling
Yeah, basically any sport that could be warped into some form of martial arts lol. Gymnastics makes the most sense out of my ideas, but wrestling is pretty up there too, only in this universe it isn't staged.
M...Marching Band. Please. Do it. At least colorguard. We always threatened to smack people with our flags and rifles. And the instruments do dance and other engagement sometimes too.

M...Marching Band. Please. Do it. At least colorguard. We always threatened to smack people with our flags and rifles. And the instruments do dance and other engagement sometimes too.
Hmm, I could use that for the shrine maidens, instead of those white paper things on sticks (I forget what they're actually called, they're called something different in every piece of media that uses them) they use those flags. lol It would fit the tone of the story as well.

Fyri

Inkling
Hmm, I could use that for the shrine maidens, instead of those white paper things on sticks (I forget what they're actually called, they're called something different in every piece of media that uses them) they use those flags. lol It would fit the tone of the story as well.
Yessssss