• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Multi generational story?

ascanius

Inkling
So the way I have my WIP set up it will go through two generations, with the children of my main characters being the ones to finally complete the story goal. They must clean up after the parents mistakes making mistakes of their own in the process. There is a period of time in the middle where everyone is reeling from an attempt of the main characters to complete the story goal that only made things much much worse. I'm planning of going from that point and jumping twelve years ahead to tell their story. I was just wondering what anyone thought about this

I think it would work well, but you'd need a clear divide and a clear jumping point between the two without the inbetween bit :) I'd also say you need a clear reason why the previous protagonists can't/won't fix their mistakes, or else it'll bring in some major fridge logic as to whats going on.

and I'll advise against actually showing the inbetween period other than an explination, else it might come across as filler.

also, current age of children? I'm assuimng they already have them and won't be foisting their mistakes to 10 year olds (allowing for time to have children in there as well) as that would be... bad. and raise questions as to why young children can fix something adults can't.

also, I'd advise against making the second generation to simmilar to the first or else it raises the simple question as to why you switched characters other than a gimmick if all thats changed is a name etc. but thats another bridge to cross later :)

Chilari

Staff
I can see it working. Edward Rutherfurd managed fine with thousands of years of generations in his historical novels such as Sarum. The family feuds, genetic traits, positions in society etc are shown down the generations, with it being clear how the decisions of characters impact upon their descendants. Admittedly that's an extreme example what with the thousands of years bit, but it's demonstrably doable.

I think you need to make certain things clear when you make the jump: first, that the parents are and remain unsuited to completing the task and that their children are different in ways that are significant enough to justify their ability to complete the task, whether that's the group dynamic, individual skills, personalities, perhaps a sense of duty, life outlook and so on. Second, you need to demonstrate the lasting effects, twelve years later, of the catastrophic event; the time in between must have involved more than just the children getting older. Thirdly, you need to consider how these effects, and the changes they have brought about, make the second attempt by the children possible or perhaps necessary - how the differences between year X and year X+12 mean that a fresh attempt is plausible, regardless of who makes it. You need to establish that both the time is right and that the characters are the right people to make the attempt.