• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Diversity: Multi ethnic and Biracial characters

X Equestris

Maester
The situation of the elves in Dragon Age could be seen as a mirror of the real life struggles of some minority groups, especially Native Americans and African Americans. The elves have had their land invaded and seized by foreigners, been made to agree to treaties with the humans which were then broken because treaties with heathens don't count, had their culture and history largely erased, been sold into slavery, and now either live in inner city slums or in close-knit communities with a deep suspicion of outsiders while desperately trying to recover and preserve their lost heritage, with those in the latter category looking down on their kin who assimilate into human culture.

...It's pretty on-the-nose, actually.

Indeed, though it's worth noting that the elves have often been their own worst enemies, bearing only slightly less responsibility for the downfall of both of their nations than the humans who invaded.

Mindfire

Istar
Indeed, though it's worth noting that the elves have often been their own worst enemies, bearing only slightly less responsibility for the downfall of both of their nations than the humans who invaded.

Really? When was that established because I totally missed the being their own worst enemies bit. I don't remember it being brought up in DA Origins or DA2. Unless you mean the werewolf curse. Is it only explored in supplemental lore? Or does it have to do with spoilers for Inquisition (which I still haven't finished)?

Last edited:

X Equestris

Maester
Really? When was that established because I totally missed the being their own worst enemies bit. I don't remember it being brought up in DA Origins or DA2. Unless you mean the werewolf curse. Is it only explored in supplemental lore? Or does it have to do with spoilers for Inquisition (which I still haven't finished)?

Two points in Inquisition. I don't want to reveal too much. The first one isn't too spoilery (it's info found at the end of a side quest), but the second one definitely is.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Digging up this thread again because I'm giving a short story WIP an overhaul, involving the inclusion of a whole human cast of biracial and multi-ethnic characters. The MC is a biracial girl (white father, black mother) from modern-day Canada who falls into a fantasy world inhabited by humans and dragons. The land the MC winds up in is the birthplace of humanity, so there are many different skin colors all blended together. (I went with a version of the "humans are made from earth" myth, so they'd naturally have a lot of variety there.)

One problem I'm having on a basic nuts-and-bolts level is describing the MC from a first-person perspective, especially with regards to her skin color. I've already described her hair fairly well, but I doubt that's enough to really establish that she's biracial. For reference's sake, here's the description of her hair:

I [...] ran my hand through my hair. Those curls were frizzy at the best of times, thanks to Mom’s side of the family, but today’s humidity was taking that way out of control.

Thoughts on coupling this with other description?

Gryphos

Auror
Digging up this thread again because I'm giving a short story WIP an overhaul, involving the inclusion of a whole human cast of biracial and multi-ethnic characters. The MC is a biracial girl (white father, black mother) from modern-day Canada who falls into a fantasy world inhabited by humans and dragons. The land the MC winds up in is the birthplace of humanity, so there are many different skin colors all blended together. (I went with a version of the "humans are made from earth" myth, so they'd naturally have a lot of variety there.)

One problem I'm having on a basic nuts-and-bolts level is describing the MC from a first-person perspective, especially with regards to her skin color. I've already described her hair fairly well, but I doubt that's enough to really establish that she's biracial. For reference's sake, here's the description of her hair:

I [...] ran my hand through my hair. Those curls were frizzy at the best of times, thanks to Mom’s side of the family, but today’s humidity was taking that way out of control.

Thoughts on coupling this with other description?

One thing you could do is describe her parents' appearance, and then later on have the MC comment how she resembles each parent in specific ways. She could mention how her skin tone is a shade between her parents' or something like that.

Tom

Istar
Hey, Ireth! I might be able to help.

I have a POC first-person narrator (Tomrin), and I sometimes run into the same problem. How does someone accurately describe themselves without seeming self-absorbed? (Or without straying into Mary Sue territory...)

The easiest and most natural way to describe the MC I've found is to have them compare their features to other characters. For instance, if my MC were to meet another person of his ethnic group, he might say, "her skin was lighter than mine--a middling olive shade instead of rich ochre." So far, this method has worked well for me.

Last edited:

Ireth

Myth Weaver
One thing you could do is describe her parents' appearance, and then later on have the MC comment how she resembles each parent in specific ways. She could mention how her skin tone is a shade between her parents' or something like that.

Oooh, I could definitely do that. It'd have to wait until she's in the fantasy world, I think, when she's talking to one of the dragon characters. Dunno if that'd be too late for people to get a mental image of her, though. She's yanked into the fantasy world within the first 500 words, with not a lot of time for thinking specifically about her family's looks.

Gryphos

Auror
Oooh, I could definitely do that. It'd have to wait until she's in the fantasy world, I think, when she's talking to one of the dragon characters. Dunno if that'd be too late for people to get a mental image of her, though. She's yanked into the fantasy world within the first 500 words, with not a lot of time for thinking specifically about her family's looks.

I think that's soon enough. In my current WIP the 1st person main dude only explicitly reveals his biracialness at around chapter 10. So long as you don't put the first mention of her appearance halfway through the book or something, you'll be alright.

Well it's still a business so they are going to try and appeal to the biggest market demographic. Unfortunately this is how things have been going for a long long time.

It's just up to people to create stories that include those types of characters. If someone has a best seller it will certainly get plenty of exposure. If people put more books with those characters in the marketplace there is a better chance that more people will read them.

I just hope it is a grassroots effort and not merely the pressuring of business interests to accommodate people by having more token characters.

In the end the book should be about the story, not just trumpeting the fact that there are bi-racial characters. A good book is a good book and if people are put off by multi-racial characters then that's their problem.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
@Ireth, the thing about biracial people—you may not look at them and think them as biracial. Therefore, you can make a description of your character without mentioning the term "biracial" and you're not necessarily cheating the reader.

To prove my point, here's a test: let's name the girls Red, Green, Blue and Pink.
10614119_10204950116567568_6663892414334065196_n.jpg

Who is white, who is Asian, and who is both?

Last edited:

Tom

Istar
There's an interracial couple who attend fencing classes with me who have a daughter. The mother is Black Latina, and the father is white. Their baby daughter has pale skin, fine brown hair, and gorgeous dark blue eyes. If you hadn't seen her mother, you'd assume the girl was white. In fact, her mother has been stopped in stores and questioned because people don't think that the girl is her daughter.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Very true, Tom. But if I make my biracial MC look like any other white girl, readers might question the logic of having one parent be black at all (if they even realize the fact). It smacks of tokenism, even though I know there's real-life precedent to it.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I have two students from Puerto Rico, brother and sister. The sister has red hair and freckles; the brother has black hair and brown skin. And yes, they're siblings, not half siblings.

Also, I meant to put the answer to my "test" in a spoiler tag. I'll do that here:
Red, Blue and Pink are my daughters: 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Italian, 1/2 Chinese.
Green is their Filopino friend. Technically, she's Asian with some Spanish ancestry.

So Red, Blue and Pink are "both."
For Green, I'd accept "Asian" or "both" as correct answers. (It's my test. I can do that.)

Nimue

Auror
@Ireth, the thing about biracial people—you may not look at them and think them as biracial. Therefore, you can make a description of your character without mentioning the term "biracial" and you're not necessarily cheating the reader.

To prove my point, here's a test: let's name the girls Red, Green, Blue and Pink.
10614119_10204950116567568_6663892414334065196_n.jpg

Who is white, who is Asian, and who is both?
Well now you gotta tell us who your kid is, because everyone in those pictures is adorable!

I'm gonna guess she's in the blue because you've got a picture of just her and the instructor/older girl, heh. But yeah, it's important to note the ways that perceived ethnicity might have only a fleeting relationship with someone's actual parentage...

Reminds me of the south park episode where the police are trying to plant evidence to get Michael Jackson arrested but when they see him they think he's white.