• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My new world Elimithy

fcbkid15

Scribe
What do you think of my world?

So I just posted my first story here, The King's Assassin. I'm not gonna discuss the plot here, I'm going to discuss my world, and see if it interests people. So here you go.

My world is called Elimithy, a huge land full of excitement. So first a little back story. Let's start with The Great Crisis. This was about 65 years before my story takes place. This was when the the king had triplets. Usually the oldest becomes the king, but in the given case that couldn't happen. So they had a tournament, everyone coming to see them fight, Not really fighting each other, it was more like a series of challenges that each brother faced. The one who made it through successfully, and pleased the crowd the most, would become king. So the crowds choose their victor, and they had a new king. The other brothers would serve as his closest advisors.

But soon they two brothers grew jealous, and took it up with the new king. They argued and soon began to fight. Eventually they split up and one brother ruled Castin, the main kingdom, the two others ventured off to find a new life. However, the brothers that ventured off both had the same idea. They would go start their own kingdom. But neither of them knew the others plan, and expected the other one to just go off and live somewhere. So as the king of Castin sat happily on his thrown ruling his kingdom, the others slowly but surely gathered followers and built up their kingdoms. One started the kingdom Cefnor in the north near the sea, the other started the kingdom Korak towards the south. Soon enough they both had a kingdoms, and planned their attack, so they could rule both lands.

When the two armies got to Castin, Castin wasn't prepared. It quickly sent out all the readied knights it had. But the king of Korak, and the king of Cefnor wanted the lands to themselves and had no intentions of sharing them. So those tow armies fought, and it gave Castin enough time to get their army ready. Soon it was a massive battle devastating the lands. This was when many people took advantage of the war and started robbing, pillaging, looting, every town and city there was. The dark Dwarves of the Diverg Mountains came down and began raising hell. Elimithy was in a crisis indeed.

But after a few years of warring, the three kingdoms came to a treaty. They each would rule the different lands. Castin the middle of Elimithy, Cefnor the north, and Korak the south. Castin first came up with the treaty, but it took awhile for the two other brothers to decide on it. Eventually Cefnor signed it, the brother just happy to rule something. So with Cefnor and Castin allied, the brother ruling Korak knew his army, already devastated by the war, couldn't stand against two armies. He signed it, not because he wanted to, but because he knew when he was defeated. So together the three kingdoms rebuilt the lands and drove out any attacking beings, including the dark dwarves.

So now about 65 years later, Elimithy isn't as good as it could be, but it's not that bad. Dark magic is heavy in Elimithy, not good. Light, good magic is rarely seen, and that gave Korak the chance to ally with dark magic users. The current king still believes they need to take down Castin and Cefnor. Castin is the main ruling body, being the biggest kingdom, and they rule the most, do the most. Cefnor helps them, Korak mainly only does good for their kingdom. So Korak is planning to attack Castin and Cefnor soon.

But lets get a little geography in. So Elimithy is the main continent. But up to the very north is a huge, uncharted area they just call the Northern Lands. It is very dangerous, with nightmarish deadly creatures lurking around. Very few have gone there and survived, and very few have ever even thought of it. It is a dangerous place, where nobody but crazy people and deadly beasts live. Over to the west of Elimithy are some better spots. The spiraling islands are a series of islands growing smaller and smaller until they form a spiral. The islands are very close together, and are more of a refuge for refugees, criminals, thugs. They aren't dangerous, the people won't hurt you, they just go there, its where they do their things. Then theres Thia, a bigger island, but pretty dangerous. It is tropical and lush, a jungle. The dangers lie with the bugs. There are a species of bugs called Clesps. They area bout as big as a human, and have huge stingers, and they spit their venom at you. They fly after you if they even see you, they are very agressive. Their venom can't kill, but it stings your whole body, blinds you and wherever it hits you goes numb for weeks.

How about some places in Elimithy? I won't go into detail cause I know this is long. But anyways there are many places in Elimithy, including a city just full of refugees and thugs, a rocky outcrop that spirals out into the ocean known as The Steps of Slagnor, for the closer it gets out to the sea, the more it declines like steps. Also there is the beautiful beaches of Denstin, named after the great female warrior who defended a nearby town from vicious gargoyles. The beaches are the most calming peaceful places in Elimithy. It is said you see your greatest desires there, and even get a taste of them. But lets move up north, where the Farlig forest lies. Full of exciting beasts, including the mythical black fox, said to only appear when all hope is lost. Not to many believe it, but when The Red River that runs through the forest is named that for a battle that was fought on it. The general of the winning side said he saw the fox, when they were almost down. The fox gave them an extra boost and sent all of its magic out towards the enemies. It only helps what it thinks is the right side.

So after the fox, how about some more animals? So up in the northern lands, the bad place, there is said to be creatures bigger than dragons. More than twice the size! Yes, they are huge, and they are Norgs. Yup, a Norg. It is a huge six legged beast with two pairs of wings. Yes, four wings altogether. Cause something that big needs plenty of wings to help it fly! It has two sets of eyes, can see almost anything in its way. A massive tail that splits into two about halfway down. It has three rows of razor sharp teeth, a deadly tongue dripping in acid. It is said to actually breath acidic toxin onto its victims, but none know for sure. So, deadly beasts, Elimithy is glad they stay in The Northern Lands.

Theres much much more stuff, but I won't go into anything else right now. I've already written a ton. And if you stayed and read all of this, your the best, and I give you all my thanks. But anyways tell me if you like this world, what you like, if its cool, anything you want pretty much. I don't care. And thanks again!

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, got a bit of everything in the world! Are there any other kingdoms than the 3 you've described?

What kind of story are you going to be putting in this world?

fcbkid15

Scribe
Well, the main story is about an assassin who goes to work for the king of Castin, as his secret assassin. They all soon find out about Korak's plans to attack and conquer the lands, but the main character, Seffer, the assassin, finds out that the king of Castin is more cruel than what everyone thinks. You see in elimithy they all think that the king of Castin is a caring generous fellow, but he really is a vicious cruel jerk. Seffer soon learns this, and needs to decide wether he should stay and fight Korak, or stand up against the king.

And the kingdoms i've mentioned are the main ones, but there are smaller ones. The elven kingdom, the kingdom of the dark dwarves, the good dwarven kingdom, and thats what ive come up with so far.

I had to make an account to tell you you are treading pretty close to The Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. I'm just going to pose a few questions:

How did the brothers amass armies large enough to contend with a big kingdom? Where did they get the money? Were they married to royalty from different kingdoms? Would their wives and their countries be stupid enough to break their peace treaty over two immature princes? Does the new king have a wife and is her country already under a peace treaty with him?

There are plot holes aplenty in your back story as well as the development of your world. Realistically, two angry, poor, and single princes would not be able to raise an army to take out a rich and relatively well off kingdom because they got their feelings hurt. If they did amass an army and kingdom to fight their brother then the whole ordeal would be moot as they would already have a kingdom to rule. They would have used court intrigue and potentially assassination to get to the throne as they are basically next in line. People generally follow the path of least resistance. In our history poisonings were very common and very easy to pull off. This is why the king had royal taste testers to test all his food before it got to him.
In addition, the vast population would probably be uneducated. This means that they are prone to things like superstition and religion. How does this affect your dark/light magic balance?

The northern lands sounds a bit cliche. In our own history people have made good money and fame exploring the dangerous and unknown lands. The Europeans settling the Americas is a great example.

You should set this aside for a week and read it with fresh eyes. Other than that it's a good foundation.

Last edited:

fcbkid15

Scribe
thanks, i'm still coming up with everything. I haven't completed the backstory and everything yet, but with help i'll know what plotholes and everything i should fix. So thanks for your comments, its still a work in progress.