• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My recent Query

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I just sent a query out after signing Phil's Blood pact: http://mythicscribes.com/forums/writing-questions/3365-mythic-scribes-blood-pact.html and I got a response today. They want the first 30 pages!

Okay so this is about the point where I freak out and get too excited and lose my mind. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. My mind is just crumpling under the weight of self-doubt.

My heart's racing just thinking about how not to blow my opportunity to have someone read my novel. However, I do have more confidence with my Query letter now...

I need advice. I feel like I'm just going to mess this up, and even though the chance of them asking for a full manuscript is slim, I really want to put my best foot forward. Please and Thank you.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Sounds like you wrote a great query letter. That's awesome - congratulations. You should post it :)

I'd sit down with the first thirty pages and may take the next day or two to polish it up as best you can, then get it out to them. I wouldn't wait very long to do it.

If you want any other eyes on the thirty pages before it goes, you can email it to me. If not, then go for it and good luck! :D

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
You don't have anything to worry about - even if they don't like it, it means you're off to a better start than you were before. Consider this an opportunity to get over the jitters and a strong motivation for getting those first thirty pages into mint condition.

Ghost

Inkling
That's awesome, anihow! I recently submitted poetry, which isn't my favorite medium by a long shot. Every time I think about it I get nervous and my stomach hurts. So I can't imagine what a request for something I have high hopes for would do to me. I'm sure it involves a hospital.

I agree with Steerpike about not waiting long to send it out. The longer you wait, the more frazzled you'll get. I'd say send it out and work on another project for distraction.

Good luck! :bounce:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I agree with Steerpike about not waiting long to send it out. The longer you wait, the more frazzled you'll get. I'd say send it out and work on another project for distraction.

Not only that, when you query most publishers assume you have something in hand and ready to submit. When it becomes to clear to them that you didn't actually have something complete and ready to send to them, it may not go over so well.

gavintonks

Maester
dance on the ceiling now is time to ace the final barrier,
check spelling and grammar and follow submission guidelines, pray to gods you know and dont know and good luck - thats a serious wow

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Think about it this way. You now know you can write a query letter that can get you a partial manuscript request. IMHO a pretty nice step forward. That's in your pocket no matter what. Now edit your arse off. Regardless of what ever happens after that, at least you took a shot, which puts you way ahead of the game.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Oh it's done, just doubting whether it's good enough. I'm afraid of blowing it. I might be one of those "never done" people who edit and edit... and then edit some more.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I have confidence in your story. Continue with your editing until you are reasonably satisfied and get it out to them ;)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I just cut 1000 words, oh boy I'm gonna need some candy or booze or something by the end of this!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Okay so they got back to me, but I'm afraid to open the email.

It's a "no" I can feel it.

If I don't open it, my dream is still alive.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I'm scared. I don't want to know.

Okay I do, but I'm really scared.

I need someone to hold my hand and look.

No I can do it.

Maybe I'll wait 'til morning.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Don't worry Ani. All the "no's" you receive will only serve to make your first "yes" that much sweeter. Open it!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
It was a "no"

Thanks for all your support scribes. I'm kinda relieved. Now I can send it out again (after another look into my editing process).