• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Names for magic users

Reilith

Sage
For now I am using Mage as a common magic user, with Wizard being the higher title when a Mage is already very skilled. Away from that I have separate names for types of magic they use and names for the users. Some are common word like Summoner, Healer etc. while for others I've dug up some more interesting ones - for example for a user of telekinesis I've named them Psychokineth and replaced the word 'telepathy' with 'psychokinesis'.

Addison

Auror
With my magic users I have a solid system.

A trainee, or student, is generally called a Caster until he or she picks a discipline. Wizards and Witches are those who weren't naturally born with magic. They're ones who spent years studying and practicing to master the craft. Warlocks and Hags are their evil counterparts with the boost of being aligned and bound with an evil source.

A mage, in my world, is a Caster whose magic is disciplined to a T. A Hearth-Mage for example has magic restricted to the home. To cleaning, healing, cooking etc.

So when it comes to naming really think on the type of magic you're putting in your world and let it tell you the name itself.

Reilith

Sage
I later on actually decided upon using Archemage/Archmage for the highest title and drop the word Wizard entirely, as it doesn't work for all genders and the role is not gender bound. As for trainees I use 'Apprentice Mage', 'Apprentice' for short, until they finish their education. I will probably have some Shamans later on as magic users and priests of Nagas.

Reilith

Sage
I knew about witch, but not for wizard. Good to keep in mind, but I still prefer the other one. Wizard is such a common word for a magic user. Mage is too but it has a nice ring to it.

ArenRax

Sage
I like Hiro Mashima's use of Wizard in his fairytail manga. he breaks his up into Holder Magic and special ability magic. also theres the Celestial keys in which you create a contract with that celestial spirit and use the key to summon them. theres also Lacrima which store magic and is used in other ways as well.

I like to use Archmage as my most powerful mage but I would like to come up with something different for the most powerful wizard.

Russ

Istar
"Witch" is a very complicated word, with a very complicated history.

It means very different things in different contexts.

But no matter "which" way you cut it...it is a powerful word with deep connotations.

I knew about witch, but not for wizard. Good to keep in mind, but I still prefer the other one. Wizard is such a common word for a magic user. Mage is too but it has a nice ring to it.

I've never liked mage and only use it to describe a low-end user with little skill or only enough magic to do a specific job. (Wage Mage)

and witch is a complicated word, but in my opinion is still applicable to any person regardless of how they identify.

I've used a couple of times 'Adept' to indicate someone that is, well, adept to use magic but without any training. I would say it is pretty much a stage underneath your apprentice.

I like to user the term "Caster" as a general term for all magic's, as almost all magic's are directed in some direction. And with specialty terms I would convert the title to something alone the lines of "Elemental Caster" for one who specializes in elemental magic's, but for one who specializes in a selected element I would use the term "Terra Caster" for one who specializes in Earth Magic's. I could also go a step further and and use the term "Crystal Caster" or "Gem Caster" for one who specializes in Precarious Stone Magic's that deals in jewelry crafting.

I like the term conjurer, I like envisioning an old man with a long beard dressed in loose, purple robes with slippers, summoning random objects and creatures.
"Billy, fetch me my unicorn horn, will you?"