• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Naming Elemental Magic

Queshire

Istar
Magic in my story, or for that matter psychic abilities, super science, or what have you, aren't really split up by racial lines but from what reality you're from. So if you're a human from World A you might be able to throw around fireballs, but if you're from World B then you won't.

There are ways to learn abilities from realities you're not native to, but it depends on the ability and it's a hit or miss process. In general, you're better off using your own abilities or using items with abilities from different realities. To be fair, in my current incarnation of my story there's only one true magic user, though there's a good number of other non-magic abilities.

Rinzei

Troubadour
Are you still going with Invocation and Invokers then? For some reason, the system you described had the word "amalgamation" pop into my head, since it seemed to describe a combining of things to make a new form. "Amalgamator" isn't very catchy, but you could say that it was shortened throughout time to something like an "Amalgor".

shwabadi

Minstrel
Are you still going with Invocation and Invokers then? For some reason, the system you described had the word "amalgamation" pop into my head, since it seemed to describe a combining of things to make a new form. "Amalgamator" isn't very catchy, but you could say that it was shortened throughout time to something like an "Amalgor".

I kind of like 'Amalgor' but it does sound a little strange.

Out of Invoker and Renders I'd probably go for Renders, but rendition just doesn't really sound anything to do with the magic you've described.

DassaultMirage

Minstrel
Magicians in my story are called Pracitioners, since they practice an art taught to them by erelims to fend off demonic hybrids called the Nephilims. Deus ex machina as you might call it, but with the heavens and angels and demons involved, much of the work has been done by default :D