• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nervously New Writer

I never know what to write as an introduction so here goes nothing. I am a brand new writer although I stink at coding I am quickly finding that I love Canva and I am learning a lot there. Anyway writing... I am just starting out in my writing career and wanted to see what I can do in the fantasy genre. If you have any tips or ideas I would certainly appreciate them :)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Welcome to the Scribes. There is a perfect avalanche of tips and ideas, so be ready! I'll start with an easy one.

Read.

Read lots and lots. Read the best fantasy but also read random books so you can begin both to gain perspective and to sort out what your own tastes are. In fact, I'd say for a few months, spend more time reading than you do writing.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met TallyasH3art
S.K is not wrong.
Read lots and read wide.
If you find something [author, story, style] you really like, ask yourself why you like it...
For me it's seeing that phrase I really wished I had written first!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome!

Reading is great advice. It also helps to write. Little things, big things. Write, write, write. I wrote eight novels (unpublished) before I landed her back in 2011, and since, I've about doubled my total word count. More, probably. I joined all kinds of writing challenges, and that was the thing for me. It got me thinking outside my comfort level, and I got to experiment with all kinds of things I'd never thought about. Writing a non-humanoid POV, writing a story in reverse, First Person POV, and don't even get me started on the prompts...OMG!

Yeah, read a lot of different things, especially for newer writers who want feedback. It'll help you "feel" the differences between styles and voices. You'll get a sense of what connects with you as a reader, and what bores/ jars/ or otherwise doesn't work for you. Giving critique is a hard thing to do at first, but it was the single most effective thing to improve my own writing.

Glad you joined us. Hope you enjoy your stay here!