• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New to the fourm

Hello all,
My name is Michael J. Sullivan and I'm probably best known for my Riyria Revelations. I originally self published 5 of 6 of those books and they are now coming out from Orbit (Fantasy Imprint of #2 publisher Hachette Book Group). They took my six books and are making them a trilogy:

• Theft of Swords (Nov 2011): The Crown Conspiracy & Avempartha
  • Rise of Empire (Dec 2011): Nyphron Rising & The Emerald Storm
  • Heir of Novron (Jan 2012): Wintertide & Percepliquis

I've been published just about every way you can (self, small press, big-six) so if you have any questions along that line I'm more than happy to answer them.

Last edited:
Congratulations! And also welcome to the forums, I'm new as well. If I'm correct there are a couple published authors here but most of us are striving to become what you have accomplished.

Ghost

Inkling
Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles--until they are hired to pilfer a famed sword. What appears to be just a simple job finds them framed for the murder of the king and trapped in a conspiracy that uncovers a plot far greater than the mere overthrow of a tiny kingdom.

Can a self-serving thief and an idealistic swordsman survive long enough to unravel the first part of an ancient mystery that has toppled kings and destroyed empires in order to keep a secret too terrible for the world to know?
Wow, that sounds really good. If my job hunting goes well, I'll order it. (That was my attempt at subliminal messaging. Did it work?) I'm impressed that a print publisher picked this up after it was an e-book. That's rare. Congrats!

I'm sure you'll get tons of questions about publishing, but my question is: how do you pronounce Riyria? :eek:

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Congratulations! And also welcome to the forums, I'm new as well. If I'm correct there are a couple published authors here but most of us are striving to become what you have accomplished.

Well every author starts off as "striving" my best advice is to never give up - persistence is the key to success in this business. The only way you fail is to stop working at it.

Wow, that sounds really good. If my job hunting goes well, I'll order it. (That was my attempt at subliminal messaging. Did it work?)

Thanks for the "plug" - where do I mail the check :)

I'm impressed that a print publisher picked this up after it was an e-book. That's rare. Congrats!
In the "old days" (all of a year ago) I think it was rare. But I know several authors (like myself) that have been able to get the attention of agents and publishers BECAUSE of self-publishing as opposed to "in spite of it."

I'm sure you'll get tons of questions about publishing, but my question is: how do you pronounce Riyria? :eek:

Rye-ear-ah (As in - the bread, the thing you hear with, and the expression of bliss)

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks ! I'm happy to be here.

welcome. congrats on being published, your book sounds interesting, but my back log of books to read is really long AND I've put it on hold for nano time :(

welcome. congrats on being published, your book sounds interesting, but my back log of books to read is really long AND I've put it on hold for nano time :(

Thanks, and no worries. They're not going anywhere (I hope). I'm well acquainted with the size of fantasy readers TBR piles. Good luck to you with NanoWriMo.

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I know several authors (like myself) that have been able to get the attention of agents and publishers BECAUSE of self-publishing as opposed to "in spite of it."
This^ is music to my ears.

Or maybe candy to my eyes, since I was reading. In either case, it's good news.

Congratulations... and welcome from a fellow new guy.

myrddin173

Maester
The funny thing about you joining us is that I actually discovered your novels about a week ago, so you have the honor of being the first author I have actually heard of that has joined us.

Anyways, welcome to the forums!

This^ is music to my ears.

Or maybe candy to my eyes, since I was reading. In either case, it's good news.

Congratulations... and welcome from a fellow new guy.

Thanks for the congrats and the welcome. In my opinion there has never been a better time to be a writer. Technology has opened up distribution channels such that there are now multiple ways to make a living from writing. Even small presses (that used to provide only minor income) are doing well and I know many authors that don't have a day job any longer. So yes...good news all around.

The funny thing about you joining us is that I actually discovered your novels about a week ago, so you have the honor of being the first author I have actually heard of that has joined us.

Anyways, welcome to the forums!

That is very exciting. Your comment immediate brought to mind a line in my first book..."I haven't been anyone's first in years." so I am indeed honored. When I was small press published most of my sales were in ebooks so I never had any visual indication of anyone reading them. Now that I'm published through one of the largest publishers in the world there should be more distribution. I live near Washington DC and take the Metro often. One day I hope to be on the train and see someone actually reading one of my books (well someone I don't know - as I've done a few local bookclubs). Now THAT is a day I've been waiting for for a very long time!