• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nimue draws things (sometimes)

Nimue

Auror
Working on a thing to try and breathe some life into this very badly-written scene in the first chapter of my WIP. This is a little more ambitious than I've done in a while, so I'm not sure if it'll get finished, but I've already over-worked the face before touching the rest, of course. If you guys can spot anything wrong with the anatomy or facial features that would be great to know?

morgana_zpsubigono6.png

morgana3_zpsnzefvcq0.png

When am I going to stop drawing pallid dark-haired women staring directly back at me? A) when it stops being super easy to get a symmetrical face this way (not likely to happen) and B) when I start getting skeeved out by all the staring. (this might be happening on this one. Yeesh. I mean in this scene her unnerving gaze is kind of the point, but maybe going a little more for what is appealing visually would have been a good idea.)

Working on a thing to try and breathe some life into this very badly-written scene in the first chapter of my WIP. This is a little more ambitious than I've done in a while, so I'm not sure if it'll get finished, but I've already over-worked the face before touching the rest, of course. If you guys can spot anything wrong with the anatomy or facial features that would be great to know?

morgana_zpsubigono6.png

morgana3_zpsnzefvcq0.png

When am I going to stop drawing pallid dark-haired women staring directly back at me? A) when it stops being super easy to get a symmetrical face this way (not likely to happen) and B) when I start getting skeeved out by all the staring. (this might be happening on this one. Yeesh. I mean in this scene her unnerving gaze is kind of the point, but maybe going a little more for what is appealing visually would have been a good idea.)

This is beautiful! I love it. I hope to be as good as this someday :D

Nimue

Auror
This is beautiful! I love it. I hope to be as good as this someday :D

Practice more than I do, kiddo. It's good for you & then maybe you won't end up spending hours straightening out a single sketch =_=

^^Wow! This is amazing art! I have trouble painting or drawing humanoid characters, especially their faces.
All I can draw are faces, heh. If you want to work on that, I might suggest looking at lots of portrait art, both traditional and digital? Faces are complicated. Looking at how other artists simplify them can really help: the shapes of lines and where they put shadows and highlights.

neodoering

Minstrel
Nimue;
This is very pleasing artwork, especially the woman and the werewolf and the wolves. While I single that one out, all these pieces appeal to me. So are you intending this work to go in the pages of your WIP, or are they different concepts for cover art? I'd think this is near professional quality work.

Nimue

Auror
Ah, neither, I suppose... These are just for personal character reference, or for other peoples' reference in rpgs. If I ever have something worthy of putting a cover on, I'd go to a professional. My design sense isn't all that good, as you may infer from all the squarely-framed portraits, lol. But thank you!

Nimue

Auror
Sketchy thing of my grungy traveling child

skritchskitch22_zpshtey0mmi.png

(Aelun from my Top Scribe VIII entry. I also started a sketch of Tornin but his face...would not behave. I swear I'm never giving a male character short hair again)

Reactions: Tom

Nimue

Auror
If you have any way to digitize them, Crystal, you should share your paintings! I'm always for more activity in the arts forum, though I'm bad at posting myself...

I'd post in the arts forum, if only I wasn't so embarrassed about how unpracticed my work is. I need to improve a lot before anythings presentable.

^^The trouble is, I'm not sure how to digitize them! [Apart from taking pictures of them using my 3DS camera and then taking out the 3DS memory card, putting it into my computer, and then uploading them using Google Docs images...somehow.]

Hey, @CrystallineEntity, just a suggestion: Why not start a new thread for your artwork? Nimue might not say anything, but it's not very nice to hijack her thread with your art.

Nimue

Auror
Oh, haha, I don't mind. Your drawings are so expressive, Crystal! It's been a long time since I put real paint on canvas... As a note, you can use imgur or Photobucket (if you're old like me) to upload images and link to them easily.

I'd post in the arts forum, if only I wasn't so embarrassed about how unpracticed my work is. I need to improve a lot before anythings presentable.
Oh, well... You're 16 or thereabouts, right? If it'd make you feel better, I can post some of the wonky stuff I drew at 16, some of my first attempts with a Wacom bamboo, that I definitely posted online! But of course it's up to you. ^^

Nimue

Auror
Here's a very scribbly thing of three characters from my Top Scribe XII entry: Stepan, Katya, and Nik. Was thinking about adding some color to this, maybe playing with some watercolor brushes I downloaded, but the brain's moving on to other stories! Also I've been having trouble putting colors I'm happy with on things. A skill that has to be exercised like any other, I suppose.

dMc6jAI.png