• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Norse Gods in a more realistic light?

Devora

Sage
I'm thinking of writing a Novel that uses the Norse Myths, but it turns the events and characters with more realism, a la Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon novel (though without political bents).

For Example: Odin is a King, Thor is a Blacksmith who prove himself as a formidable warrior with his Maul and is the son of Odin. Fenris is a serial killer who hunts down people like a wolf, etc.

Is this a good idea?

Has this been done already?

Taro

Minstrel
I honestly love the Norse myths and base a lot of my writing off it. i honestly have not seen it used in that concept before but there are stories out there which use the Norse gods in a modern day time. but i would love to see your idea go ahead :)

Sounds a very solid idea and I haven't heard of it before...but I think there have been other stories that humanise gods.

That shouldn't matter, as long as you establish your own story as something original.

Devora

Sage
How should i go about doing research for this? I would have to know various things such as Nordic/Viking Culture, Blacksmithing, Geography of Scandinavian lands (to get an idea of how the settings should be), various weaponry used by Nordic/Viking Warriors, etc.

There is only one way to research for any sort of historical/mythic writing, and that's to totally immerse yourself in all the literature you can until you start to live and breathe as the gods do. Then you start writing character sketches, giving them quirks and details that incorporate the all the main stuff but also perhaps a couple of idiosyncratic flourishes of your own which perhaps make ambiguous something from legend or reinterpret some main feature in a way that makes the characters yours.

Once you have your characters, start retelling their story in a new and surprising way which still remains true to the essential features of the myths.

Devora

Sage
I'm uncertain what aspects to keep from the Norse Legend (Dark Elves, Dwarves, Ice Giants, etc). I want the story to have a good amount realism. How should i go about keeping a ratio between the Realism and Fantasy elements?

I think you could, if you wanted, have no fantasy aspect at all. But there might be ambiguities or fantasical interpretations, or even a Blair Witch style anticipation of fantasy that was only ever ambiguously resolved. This has, in my opinion, been at the heart of god-creation since the dawn of time, so could be a very masterful and powerful book if you pulled it off.

How should i go about doing research for this? I would have to know various things such as Nordic/Viking Culture, Blacksmithing, Geography of Scandinavian lands (to get an idea of how the settings should be), various weaponry used by Nordic/Viking Warriors, etc.

Thank the gods for the internet. :) As for your races, you could make Dark Elves assassins, rogues, or thieves. Dwarves are just really short people. and "giants" could just be hulking barbarians and warlords.

shangrila

Inkling
I'm uncertain what aspects to keep from the Norse Legend (Dark Elves, Dwarves, Ice Giants, etc). I want the story to have a good amount realism. How should i go about keeping a ratio between the Realism and Fantasy elements?
You can turn all of towards realism if you wanted. Dwarves are a reclusive clan of short statured people. Dark Elves could be dark skinned invaders from the Africas. Ice Giants...well, I'm kind of at a loss for this to be honest. Maybe tall, pale skinned northerners?

This is only limited by your imagination friend.

Devora

Sage
I feel the only way this story is gonna begin is that it has to start at the events leading up to Ragnarok because i don't think it would be possible to include the Entire Nordic Mythos (then again, would turning it into a series be a good idea for that?)

What you guys think?