• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Occasional Marketing Report

Thanks Chillers. I do seem to have wandered away from the point of the thread though, which was about marketing activity and ideas. I've been a little overtaken by developments but there is no way I'd call the book a success just yet, so I need to keep slogging away at the marketing ideas.

One thing that has occurred to me - although I don't know how realistic it is in the wider scale - I was invited to address a book club meeting and once word got out about that, two more book clubs asked me along (although none of them have set a night yet). It's not the sort of thing you could go on doing forever but I reckon it would entrench a few really solid evangelists for your work if you get it right.

Quite looking forward to the uni session. I've been asked to do a talk on 'a lawyer becoming a novelist' followed up by a discussion of the latest book (which features a very naughty lawyer as the protagonist). I think doing talks, whether to small or large audiences is a brilliant way of interesting readers in your world.

Chilari

Staff
"Chillers"? That's a new one. I've seen Chi and Chil and even Chill, but noboidy has given me a nickname longer than my actual name before.

Thanks Chillers. I do seem to have wandered away from the point of the thread though, which was about marketing activity and ideas. I've been a little overtaken by developments but there is no way I'd call the book a success just yet, so I need to keep slogging away at the marketing ideas.

One thing that has occurred to me - although I don't know how realistic it is in the wider scale - I was invited to address a book club meeting and once word got out about that, two more book clubs asked me along (although none of them have set a night yet). It's not the sort of thing you could go on doing forever but I reckon it would entrench a few really solid evangelists for your work if you get it right.

Quite looking forward to the uni session. I've been asked to do a talk on 'a lawyer becoming a novelist' followed up by a discussion of the latest book (which features a very naughty lawyer as the protagonist). I think doing talks, whether to small or large audiences is a brilliant way of interesting readers in your world.

That sounds fantastic! The more opportunities you have to meet and greet actual readers the better. I was invited to do one right around when my first novel released and it was both enjoyable and successful. Make sure you understand the agenda though. As an author, they may be expecting you to do some level of public speaking presentation, such as a reading or talking about being an author or reader. If they've already read your book, then you can probably get away with just a Q&A.

If there is appears to be an interest in your novel from the club, make sure you try to get the club to put it on their reading list without being pushy. Oh, and don't forget autographed copies of the book! I was asked several times for autographed copies of mine to which I unfortunately had to decline (it's still only an ebook!).

"Chillers"? That's a new one. I've seen Chi and Chil and even Chill, but noboidy has given me a nickname longer than my actual name before.
O_O it's longer...but it's shorter too! AHH!

Chi reminds me of Chobits (Chi of Chobits)!

Have been doing some talks - one at a uni (poorly attended but out of semester and well received by the few that were there - they've asked me back during mid term when the numbers are big). Did another couple of book stores with more on the way and am noticing that they seem to be getting keener and keener. Latest big news is that Straight Jacket made the top ten crime list for 2013 of a major chain in Australia. Mind you the list is not about sales volume - it's about someone's judgment, which will hopefully turn into sales volume.

Blog: The Best Crime Fiction of 2013 · Readings.com.au

Howdy again. Latest news is that Straight Jacket has just been picked up by the Australian airport book chains. This is a major development as those stores rarely stock anything outside the big six publishers as their rent is so huge they have to KNOW they are going to shift units. They are FAR pickier than the usual book chains and they sell a lot more.

From the perspective of being relevant to this thread - here is the latest thing I've learned: every time you get any kind of accolade or positive development, ride it for all it's worth! The airport chain originally said no, back in November, but when SJ was included in the Readings top ten crime novels for 2013, the distributor went back to them with the latest news and they changed their minds. This might just be enough to achieve some critical mass.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I think that's great to get your book in airports. Very often you only see the most popular books of the moment there, so that will put you amongst some lofty company. Lots of impulse buys=more exposure=more readers! Good luck!

TWErvin2

Auror
You never know which pebble or rock thrown will start an avalanche. Great to learn of the good news for your novel!

Book went into the airports last week, but the next news is that my distributor has been getting pretty amazing feedback from bookstores, including this... he was told that some musicians enjoyed the book so much they wish to perform something inspired by the book at writers' festivals. I am of course very much in favour of this development, not least as one of the musicians is from one of my favourite Australian bands - the Black Sea Gentlemen. This would be incredibly cool if it happens - here's one of my favourite songs of theirs:

Formidable Marinade - YouTube

Had to do a day trip for work yesterday so got to see the book on shelves at Sydney and Melbourne airports. In Melbourne, it was right next to the 50 Shades books. I'll have to have Straight Jacket screened for STDs now.

Was rung at 10.30 on Tuesday night by the Australian head of the UK film studio who've optioned SJ. He'd just been on the phone to London and I gather they're pretty excited about it. I'm probably jinxing myself even talking about this but I find it impossible to keep this sort of thing secret. If they announce that the film is going into production that will be a fabulous kick along for the book.

Very difficult to think about anything else right now...which is odd when you consider how many times in the past my expectations have been cruelly raised, then dashed.

OK, latest news is that the head of Ealing Studios in Australia rang me the other night to tell me he'd given a copy of the book to a very famous actor...can't really say who, but you would definitely know him...with an implicit offer to play the lead. (I'm so nervous I can barely keep my sphincter shut!)

More relevant to this marketing thread, the book trailer has finally been released and can be seen at the link below. Very cool. Hit link, scroll down, hit play, hit full screen, enjoy!

Straight Jacket

Have been chasing reviews in the last month or so...something that hadn't really occurred to me before (I've been way too passive). Didn't even know about the large range of review sites out there! Here's the latest, bearing in mind this isn't a fantasy book - but there must be fantasy review sites, just as there are crime sites: Straight Jacket | Crime Fiction Lover