• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

One-tone characters and matters of perspective

Mara

I really appreciate that advice, especially since I hope to send out my manuscript within the next couple of months, and I feel like getting published is going to be even harder than writing the book itself. So thanks for sharing your expertise! :)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Well I think the best thing to do is just look at a few agents you want to query, and see what other work they're representing. If you can find something similar to what you're doing, it might help you to make some of those decisions. I've never written a novel in FPOV, actually. All my novels are Third Multiple, and a few are Deep Third single character. I write a lot of shorts in First, though, but only with one character. I'm certainly not familiar with writing two PsOV both in FPOV, so I would probably check out agents who represent that style before making any decisions. I know my own search for agents has been unfruitful, but then again, I only did it half-heartedly after a bad rejection two years ago. It sort of took the wind out of my sails, and now I'm leaning more toward self-publishing, just because I don't think impressing an agent is half as hard as just finding the right one to query for a given work. I feel like I've got the right skills, if only I could finish something, but the problem is, I don't have a good enough handle on my genre or target demographic to pick the right agents to query, I guess.

Yep, it's tricky. I'd definitely encourage you to start making a list of agents you really want to work with, because they get scratched off the list quickly, and once your favorites are gone, what's left? Me, I didn't really have a good second round of querying, so that's where I stopped.

Hope your journey is more fruitful than mine was. Now, I'm just back to rewriting and editing, to hopefully impress whoever makes it on my round three docket. :)