• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Opinion?

Kingly342

Scribe
I'm currently writing a book called The Emerald Castle and I have came up with a religion that mostly has Human believers. I would like someone's opinion on it.

Name: Paleism

'Paleism is a wide-spread religion that worships the God Paleus.

MAIN GODS-

-Paleus, King and Father of the Gods, Owner of all things existing, Controls Space and Time
-Synechdote, Wife of Paleus, Queen and Mother of the Gods, Goddess of Family
-Kurith, Son of Paleus and Synechdote, God of death (And all things involved) and Shadows
-Nikita, Daughter of Paleus, Half-sister of Kurith, Goddess of trickery
-Arumanh, Brother of Paleus, God of War and Combat
-Isth, Son of Nikita, Grandson of Paleus, God of Mountains and Forging
-Gigiran, Father of Paleus and Arumanh, God of Existence

MINOR GODS (Not genetic relatives of Paleus)-

-Karanu, God of Life (And all things involved), Husband of Nikita, Father of Isth
-Paroka, God of Water, Brother of Karanu, Second Husband of Nikita
-Ikithu, God of Agriculture, Son of Nikita and Paroka
-Saroka, Sister of Paroka, Goddess of Sight and Knowledge, Wife of Isth
-Evora, Second Wife of Paleus, Mother of Nikita, Goddess of Love

Paleists believe that Amris was created by Paleus. Amris was created when the all of the Gods combined their magic to form the land and sea then create Life and Death. Humans and Elves were created first'

I would greatly apreciate it if someone gave their opinion on Paleism.

Hard to give an opinion with such little information. My immediate thought was that it sounds like "Paleo". Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me. Not sure how detailed your religion is (or needs to be) as I'm not sure how much of a role it plays in your book. I find myself wondering - How does it function?

How do the people worship? Do they perform oracles / magic rituals or communal services?
Are priests (or priestesses) given more access to the gods or can the common people achieve the same means on their own?
Are there religious texts or rites of passage? Do they have a holy land / city or landmark where the gods live (Mt Olympus) or where they walked the land (Israel)?
Where do practitioners worship- at home? temple? church? a cleared field in the forest?
Are the gods real - do they actually impact the lives of your characters or is this simply what practitioners believe?
Does the religion teach asceticism or encourage the pursuit of Epicurian blah blah blah ...

As you can see - religion is more complex than a list of the gods :) How complicated or detailed you want it to be is up to you.

Last edited:

Kingly342

Scribe
Thanks. I haven't really formulated that part of Paleism. That was what I did so far but anyway, thanks for your opinion. I'll get to adding more right away.

ascanius

Inkling
One thing I've always enjoyed about ancient Greek mythology is the contradictory nature of the gods, and not just their behavior. Hades is the god of death, yet at the same time of life and more importantly rebirth. Apollo is the god of healing and of plague. Aphrodite is the goddess of love and beauty, also the consort/wife of Hephaestus who was deformed. Just a few ideas.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Ok, you've got the names and general spheres of authority.

Now...how many of these Gods figure into the story?

What of common myths - beyond the creation cycle?

Do any make direct appearances? Do their priests receive magical abilities?

Do any of your characters worship one or more of these deities?

Any cult objects (magical artefacts) associated with any of these deities, and if so do they play any role in the story?

What of these artefacts histories?

Any particularly important temples, either to the pantheon as a whole, or to individual deities?

Do the priests wield significant political influence? If so, does this have an effect on the story?

You have described the pantheon of a single religion. Are there pantheons or gods outside this religion?

scottyrobot

The names sound good....unique enough, but also echoes the naming conventions of real Greek, Egyptian and near eastern gods.

Gurkhal

Auror
As mentioned above, how does it tie into the story? With more information about that, more precise suggestions and advice can be offered.

Name: Paleism

'Paleism is a wide-spread religion that worships the God Paleus.

But for a start I'd say that this part is misleading. The religion has a whole pantheon of gods so why does it say that it "worships the God Paleus", when it has all manner of other deities as well? Maybe I'm picky, but that's how it comes out to me.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Perhaps establish why there are so many gods. Is it because each god causes the trait they are associated with to exist or because they draw power from people using that trait. Why do these gods concern themselves with lesser beings. Where do they come from? Can they be killed? Hope this helps.

TheKillerBs

Maester
There are many things you could consider. Do these gods exist or are they just a figment of their worshippers' imaginations? If they are real, how accurate is the information the people have of them? How did they come to find out about them? What kind of branches or sects are there? How do people deal with members of other sects? What is the role of this religion in the devotees' lives? What is the hierarchical structure of the religion?

Kingly342

Scribe
Help?

I have formulated the rest. Can someone tell me how to edit the thread? I can't find out how.

Hi,

For me the question I would want answered first was what do followers of Paleus believe? That he is the supreme god of the pantheon? That he will reward them in life with favours. That he will punish his enemies on Earth and above? An afterlife in his great sky castle?

Cheers, Greg.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I have completed it. How do I edit threads? I'll edit the thread with the new info

Threads can only be edited for an hour after you post. We had a problem with spammers who would post, wait a while, and edit old threads with their links.