• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is your opinion about "magic words"?

Billybones

Acolyte
But then ya see, I am a realist, and scary stories haveta seem real.
Like killer roboskeletons, armored in titanium, with 1000 HP Diesel engines and a man working them.
Kinda makes ya think, donut?
With tanks for diesel and water to keep the pilot alive.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, that should get you over the five post limit.

I am not sure that has a lot to do with the topic of Magic Words. It does make me think, but maybe in another thread about technology.

thepomelomage

I quite liked how the game Skyrim handled magic words. Most magic in the game didn't require words, only skill (which is also something that I like to see in books - magic that relies on the caster's innate ability along with imagination and mental focus). However, the Dragonborn had the power to use the language of dragons. I suppose this counts as an "arcane language", as has been mentioned. But in this case, it's a language that dragons may use freely while, when used by a human or other race, turns into a powerful spell. It also comes with a cost, as some who train to use these words of power may lose the ability to speak normally without causing devastation and putting people in danger.

Hello!

I'm writing stories about magic. I've thoroughly developed my magic systems, but as for WRITING them, I'm wondering about "magic words" in the text/dialogue.

My first instinct is to just say something like: she spoke the arcane language...

But I think I would run out of ways to say that quickly. I'm already struggling on describing all my characters casting spells and such.

So I've started thinking about using made up words for some spell casting. Something like "Dath'ny'ariteel" or something.

What do you think about "magic words?"
I don't think most readers struggle to pronounce words as much as they find a sound they like when reading. That being said some readers find it cheesy or overdone. I think it relies on the ambiance of your characters. Maybe one uses words while another simply manifests and that can produce a character arc to explore and reduce your reliance on 'arcane' phrases. Just an added thought. I like your word, too.

TheKillerBs

Maester
You might create a word that sounds very magical, but might mean ‘sausage’ in another language or something - not ideal.
That's going to happen regardless and it's not that big a deal. Take, for example, Bleach. One of the factions in Bleach, the Hollows, have names in Spanish. The Hollow City is called Las Noches, which sounds, I am told, quite cool to my anglophone friends. I wouldn't know, to me it sounds like a crummy roadside hotel. The huge Hollows, also known as Gillians, are first introduced as Menos Grande (supposed to mean Small Minus, but would always be understood as Smaller). None of that has stopped Latin American weebs from latching onto it (actually it's probably made it even more popular)

They just sound like Spanish names to me. Las Noches - the nights? Menos Grandes I knew had something to with size, and so they don’t sound unfamiliar to me. There’s this country just south of the United Kingdom called Spain. I’ve heard they speak Spanish there too. 😉

The etymology does bother me because I’m not just using direct translations, I’m making words up or using older languages to name places and things. So, in theory if my work was to become popular, it would crush me if something significant in the book was pointed out to mean something else entirely by a people from elsewhere.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
You know, to some group of Africans, the Jawas are saying actual words. I wonder if Lucas had any expectation his films might one day be seen by them ;) I suspect not.

TheKillerBs

Maester
They just sound like Spanish names to me. Las Noches - the nights? Menos Grandes I knew had something to with size, and so they don’t sound unfamiliar to me. There’s this country just south of the United Kingdom called Spain. I’ve heard they speak Spanish there too. 😉

The etymology does bother me because I’m not just using direct translations, I’m making words up or using older languages to name places and things. So, in theory if my work was to become popular, it would crush me if something significant in the book was pointed out to mean something else entirely by a people from elsewhere.
It's probably going to happen (there are 7000 languages in the world) and it's not going to matter. It'll be at worst a curiosity to the people who speak the language. That's my entire point. The Spanish in Bleach is cringeworthily off. Nobody cares.

Re: Spain - yes I am aware of its existence but I am out of touch with the Spanish weeb community, so I cannot speak for them. I do however know Bleach is very popular in Latin America, which is also a much larger population sample size