• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

what's your opinion on using anime like colored hair in fantasy?

^ I'm not sure about that conclusion. Especially as it relates to discussing the Mary Sue. I found it helpful to me. But, that may be because I read through Twilight (a part of it) and really didn't like it. There are a couple of reasons for it (part of which a girl I liked made me read it and that ended in a great big ball of flames) and the other part of it is that I just didn't like Cullen, Swan, and company. But to each their own.

Back on topic. Do whatever you want with hair color just have it make sense and be consistent.

I would say if you can justify the color of their hair in the evolution of their species or cultural practices. For example if a group of people come from a warmer climate they tend to be taller, have darker skin ect... Also if a religion or other form of cultural practice dictates a specific color of hair then it makes sense. In short I would say don't give your character a specific characteristic without a reason.

There is a reason for the strange hair and eye colors and that is to remind the reader that despite the abundance of similarities between the world where the story take place and earth, that world is not our earth.

There is a reason for the strange hair and eye colors and that is to remind the reader that despite the abundance of similarities between the world where the story take place and earth, that world is not our earth.

That, I don't feel is enough of a justification for different colored hair, unless you can add in a good reason for the difference within the context of the story and not as it relates to the real world.