• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Padded Books

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Ok, I just finished reading Book 4 of Elizabeth Moon's 'Paladins Legacy' series.

Now...I *liked* the 'Paladin' series itself, a trilogy chronicling the career of a young woman who goes from a raw recruit in a mercenary army to a paladin.

The first book is part boot camp, and part campaign against a suitable villian, and while not central to the overall campaign, her acts are noteworthy.

In the second book, she goes freelance, tackles a couple of major foes pretty much by herself with implications she does not grasp, goes to 'paladin school'...and fails.

Third book, she becomes a paladin and among other things locates the rightful heir to a distressed kingdom.

Each of these books had well done characters and goals that were...clear enough.

Afterwards, Moon wrote two prequils to the series, accounts of the lives of near legendary early heroes describing a successful revolt against an evil mage empire and the consequences thereof. Again, these books, overall, were pretty good.

So a couple years ago, when the first Paladin's Legacy book came out, I thought why not? There were five pretty good earlier books, and the way the Paladin series ended, I could see room for one or two books to properly wrap things up. Instead, its been four books...and not much has happened. The first one started off promising enough, with an inexperienced character finding himself king of a nation he'd barely visited in the past, but since then...well, each book begins with action. Something always happens in each book, be it a dynastic crisis or an abortive invasion. But nothing really changes. Mostly, its just characters of minor interest traveling to this or that town and talking or dealing with other characters of minor interest. The villian managed to remain offstage for all of the first three books, and truth be told, he ain't that impressive. He just sort of lurks offstage, sending out minions so minor they don't even rate names. Get right down to it, all four of the books in this series could have been reduced to one book without loosing anything...and likely making for a more interesting tale.

This, along with the 'Rain Wilds' thread and some other things I've read, got me to wondering:

'Yes, Hobb and Moon and some others are professionals, with successful past series. But, even so, how do they get these padded books published? Didn't anybody at anypoint in the publication process go 'not much there?'' I mean, some of the books I've seen by 'unknowns' the past few years are better than this stuff, at least from where I'm standing.

GeekDavid

Auror
I honestly have no idea, and it's something I've run into as well. From my review of that book, The Magician's Guild by Trudi Cavanan:

The first half of the book is extremely repetitive. Once the initial set-up is completed, the story devolves into “girl on run from the Guild is hidden in a new place, she tries to control her magic, the magicians find her, she moves to another place,” lather, rinse, repeat. I get the idea of showing that she’s on the run and struggling with something she doesn’t understand how to control, but for half the book? The few extra pieces of information we got, about some of the members of the Magician’s Guild itself, could easily have been dropped in other places in the story. It seemed to me that some editor had told Canavan to stretch the book, and she chose this part to expand… badly.

teacup

Auror
I'm not sure, but it looks to me like big name authors get more leeway on this kind of thing, and the publishers allow it because they know the public will buy the books judging from past sales and fame from the previous books.

Maybe people do bring it up, but publish it anyway if the author refuses, because moneymoneymoney.
*shrugs*