• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Paladin's Intro

Paladin

Dreamer
Hello everyone, you can call me Paladin.

I stumbled across this forum recently and so far, it seems to be exactly what I was looking for: a relatively tame forum populated by creative and friendly fantasy writers. I've always had a difficult time meeting other writers, especially writers that focus on the kind of settings I do. So, I'm looking forward to chatting with the other writers here, offering whatever help and feedback I can, maybe getting some help in return, and perhaps making a friend or two along the way. Writing can be a lonely pursuit...

As for myself, I'm just a 27 year old guy with dreams of becoming a published and successful fiction writer one day. I know it can be pretty difficult to find success in any artistic field... but then, most things worth doing usually are difficult. So, I refuse to give up on those dreams.

I have many story projects I've been working on and developing for many years now, as well as my own fantasy world which most of those stories are set in. I'll probably be posting some questions now and then regarding that. I always seem to have the opposite problem of a lot of writers, I don't have writer's block, I have writer's... avalanche? I'm not sure what to call it exactly lol... but I often feel like I have too many ideas and too many stories I want to write. My stories often become massive sagas that I just don't have the time or energy to finish. It can be pretty overwhelming at times. I always continue to work on them though and get a little more done whenever I can.

I also do some amateur video game design, RPG's specifically. I grew up with RPG's and love the kinds of stories they can tell. Ever since I was a kid, aside from becoming a successful fantasy writer, creating my own RPG's and writing their stories has always been a close secondary goal of mine.

I don't think it's really necessary to say this but I decided I might as well be up front about it. I'm hoping this forum won't have any problems with this. I happen to be gay, though that certainly doesn't define me. The only reason I feel this is relevant to mention would be that one of my main goals with fantasy writing is to do my best to bring in more gay characters to the fantasy genre and portray them realistically. It's something, I feel, that's hardly ever done well, if at all. I know there's other writers working toward the same end but I just want to do my part, too.

Like many gay guys, I'm pretty tired of the stereotypes. A gay guy does not equal an automatic loss of masculinity (or sanity). We can still kick ass, slay dragons and rescue princesses (and princes) as good as any straight guy can and I think it's high time fantasy stories start representing that better. The only real difference would be that gay characters won't be falling in love with the princess at the end of the story. :)

Anyway, writing and storytelling are very special to me and I feel the need to express some of my thoughts about these arts in this post.

As far back as I can remember, I've loved the art of storytelling. It is real magic, like all of the arts---and those who've come close to mastering the art of storytelling are true sorcerers, with their ability to weave worlds out of words and breathe life into countless characters and ideas alike.

However, I still think the writer's greatest power is simply their ability to reach others through their work in ways that conversations and speaking seldom ever can. Stories seem to be capable of communicating with people on far deeper levels, and for many people, sometimes, stories are all they ever really have. Often, whether they like it or not, a writer will end up becoming the best friend and/or mentor to people they'll probably never know or meet---simply through the stories they write. Because of this, writers have the opportunity to teach on a grand scale and to touch countless peoples lives in a (hopefully) positive way.

Writers can transport readers to any place and time, with the limitations of the writers' own imagination being their only true boundaries. In many ways, writers can even grant some small bit of immortality to their readers, by exposing them to countless experiences, settings, characters, ways of life and ideas that the reader likely would've never experienced in the course of their life without those stories.

Stories inspire us and give us hope for the future, in the real world---and often, they renew our drive to chase after that future. They can give us strength and resolve, often when we need it most. Stories can help us and teach us in ways that families and friends often cannot. Stories can change people for better or worse. I also know, for a fact, that they can even save lives. Stories can literally move mountains and transform society and the world as we know it.

I believe, in many ways, that stories are some of the most priceless treasures we can hope to create. That's only part of the reason why I create stories and write though---I also write because, well, I need to write. I know countless stories that need to be told and I can't seem to ignore them. There's not much in life I've ever been more passionate about than storytelling...

"The written word is all that stands between memory and oblivion. Without books as our anchors, we are cast adrift, neither teaching nor learning. They are windows on the past, mirrors on the present, and prisms reflecting all possible futures. Books are lighthouses erected in the dark sea of time.."

Yes indeed... I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm sure some of you will know where the above quote was taken from. :)

I didn't mean to let this introduction post become so long but yeah... I figure if there's any place on the internet where long posts would be welcome, it's in a writer's forum.

~Paladin~

Ireth

Myth Weaver
That's quite the introduction. :) Welcome here, Paladin! I hope you feel at home here. Whatever you may need help with, there's bound to be someone who can give you answers or advice. Regarding "writer's avalanche", I definitely feel your pain. XD

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Welcome to MS, Paladin! Like Ireth, I can certainly sympathize with your perception of all your ideas forming an avalanche. Really, though, it looks like you have a lot going for you. I certainly look forward to when you post some of your works in the Showcase, Paladin. ^^

(And woohoo, another RPG gamer.)

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Hhey, welcome, Paladin :)
As the posters before me have said: I feel your pain with the tide of ideas. Now that I have started to write more regularly, all those ideas I started over the years are coming back and are demanding to be written. And then there are those ideas that form anew.

I know how you feel about gay characters in fiction... I feel that way about blind characters. And one day I might post something about that.

Paladin

Dreamer
Hey, thanks for welcoming me everyone. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who suffers from writer's avalanche :D

After looking at some other introductions, I realize I probably went on for far longer than necessary in my own intro and I hope no one was put off by that. All of you who took the time to read through all that though, thanks, I appreciate it and I hope it wasn't too boring of a read for you. :)

Hhey, welcome, Paladin :)
As the posters before me have said: I feel your pain with the tide of ideas. Now that I have started to write more regularly, all those ideas I started over the years are coming back and are demanding to be written. And then there are those ideas that form anew.

I know how you feel about gay characters in fiction... I feel that way about blind characters. And one day I might post something about that.

I can certainly agree about blind characters too. The few times I've seen them appear in fantasy, they've always left a lasting impression on me. They tend to become very strong, complex characters.

I remember in one of my favorite RPG's, one of the supporting characters was a blind swordmaster. He didn't need to see in order to fight and the storyline of the game portrayed him as being a very skilled swordsman. His backstory seemed unique to me as well, since he hadn't been born blind, as most blind characters, in my experience, tend to be... he was accused of treason against his country and had his eyes removed as punishment or something like that. I always thought he was a very interesting character with a lot of potential. Unfortunately, the video game's storyline never developed him much.

I definitely plan on having some blind characters in my stories.

~Paladin~

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I can certainly agree about blind characters too. The few times I've seen them appear in fantasy, they've always left a lasting impression on me. They tend to become very strong, complex characters.
I definitely plan on having some blind characters in my stories.

Well, your fascination with blind characters is definetly understandable, but it's sadly just what I meant by me having issues with the portrayal of blind persons. True, being blind can be overcome in stunning ways, and I know of at least one real-world judo-master who is blind. My personal peeve is with the way day-to-day life of a blind person is portrayed... I happen to have some unfortunate experience with the situation :)

If you are to write a blind character, by all means do so. But if I may suggest, please try to do some hands-on research. Try walking blind-folded, practice preparing food or drinking coffee while in the dark etc. And if you can, interview some blind people about their life experience.

A common theme I see in blind characters - like the sword-master you mention - is that normal vision is usually just replaced by some other means of sensing the surrounding. In fantasy this is often magic or some form of tele-sense. To me the real fascination lies with strengthening the remaining normal senses (hearing, touch etc) to compensate for the lack of vision. Also it is quite interesting how much we rely on eyesight, and how useless it can be in many situations. Imagine a group of adventures in total darkness... I've learned that disabilities are often just a matter of context. A penguin on land is not very agile... but put them in water and it's a whole different story.