• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Performance Issues - Does everybody actually have them?

BearBear

Troubadour
I love my writings and my characters so it's a pleasure to write, and therefore fun. If it ever wasn't fun and exciting I would probably have performance issues.

I read very early on a quote from a well known author who said something like, (sorry my memory sucks) put your work down when you're still having fun, so you always have something fun to go back to.

I somehow manage to overfill gaps rather than struggle to fill them.

See, I have a neurodivergent enjoyment of writing. I enjoy writing and worldbuilding in particular but I tend to have energy for things in waves, and I have no idea when that wave of interest or energy will come back. I am trying to find a way to stay motivated through this but tis hard

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
See, I have a neurodivergent enjoyment of writing. I enjoy writing and worldbuilding in particular but I tend to have energy for things in waves, and I have no idea when that wave of interest or energy will come back. I am trying to find a way to stay motivated through this but tis hard

For me, one thing that makes it easier to keep making progress on a long work is to break it down into small, easily digestible tasks. That's why planning is key for me. Seeing a story as one big task can be a daunting, but seeing it as lots of tiny steps, each easily completed in short time, makes writing a lot easier.

BearBear

Troubadour
I read that you can write single sentences with one idea each, put them in excel or some other spreadsheet and then expand them with scene and dialogue in any order. Maybe that might work? I tried it once but ended up just powering through them in order.