• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Having issues creating conflict

Hi everyone!

I just started writing my first fantasy novel and I'm having trouble creating conflict within their world. It's a semi-communistic forest dwelling society. Their occupations change from day to day based on what they're assigned to do that day (my main character, Azura, opens the scene after just finishing her assigned task, mushroom harvesting) and each family is given an allotment of resources (mostly food, but may also contain cloth and hygienic items, not sure yet) based on how productive they were at work that day. These allotments tend to be generous, but the community is starting to have issues with food supply and winter is approaching (maybe). They are magical folk. They use it to manipulate the trees to grow to provide their shelter, as well as communicate with animals. Because they are so connected with the animals/nature, they live on a vegan diet. Very tall, dark people who resemble trees.

I'm having a lot of fun character and world-building, I just don't have a conflict! I need ideas. Can any of you help? I'd appreciate it!
Isn't your food shortage the basis of your conflict? Finding a way to solve/deal with the shortage itself, or characters feeling their allotments are unfair, or characters being driven to steal through desperation (esp. if they have dependents who are sick/injured and can't work), are all options you can work with here.