• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is it controversial having a demon being and angel being mate?

If two presentations of good and evil end up working together and are capable of producing an offspring, who inherits both magics, will this rise some issues?

Queshire

Istar
Ehhhhhhhhhh.... A half angel, half demon is the type of thing that might get some readers to roll their eyes, but that's about it.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
Why would it be controversial? The number of stories where angels and demons have relationships and produce off-spring are legion.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Most Christians don't care what you do with angels and demons, if that's what you mean.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
For me, Yes. The subject is not offensive, I am sure others have done it, but I would question right from the start an in depth understanding of the subject matter. It may seem like a neat dichotomy, but it would take a lot to sell me with such a premise.

That is not the same as saying dont write it.

Sorry...I have to answer 'No', I am not sure it is controversial, but yes, I would be asking questions that I would have little expectation would be answered well. My 'Yes' was that I would find it unappealing.

Last edited:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
The difference between 'angel' and 'demon' is often a matter of perspective. No few of the biblical angels are downright terrifying. As to demons, despite the stigmata associated with them, they come across as almost benign in comparison.

This also applies to other mythologies. The Greek Gods, despite their popularity, tend to come across as narcissistic sociopaths with just a bare handful of exceptions. Many of the much-maligned Titans on the other hand were rather helpful.

Worth keeping in mind that no few of the biblical demons were once relatively benign deities in neighboring cultures - and in a backhanded sort of way were acknowledged as such in the bible.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Sorry...I have to answer 'No', I am not sure it is controversial, but yes, I would be asking questions that I would have little expectation would be answered well.

Yeah, I almost typed more about that but chose not to. I don’t think the angels and demon stuff matters much on its own, but nowadays it would put my radar up about where the writer is going with it and how they’re going to portray God and Christianity as a whole. Mostly if it stays an apocalyptic angel/demon drama, with a vague or generic discussion of God, then it should be fine.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
If you read the Apocrypha, you'll realize that angels and demons are basically the same creature, only split into two factions for so long it caused physiological changes. The only difference between them, playing semantics, is if they rebelled against their maker, or not. The nots got vilified, and the loyalists were elevated.

We have both in our series and write them with this in mind. We also have a demon-angel mix, and she has the form that all angels and demons had before they split and she can take on either form, as well.

What we don't reference is a god. Angels will refer to their creator as being the one in charge, but very few have interacted with him. Our demons claim no ultimate authority. And the war between the two rages on.

Ok, so *to me*, demons are fallen angels, in broadly generic terms, so demons represent the corrupted ‘good’, and angels are the ‘uncorrupted’, so you would have the opportunity to explore a moral grey area potentially with this character…but how many moral grey area superheroes do we know of…well, all of them! So as long as you’re ok with using this as the basis for your character then it’s a go.

On the subject of exploring religion, there would be potential to offend, but would those people be your target audience? Would they be inclined to even pick your book up and read it? Perhaps not. I’ve read plenty of books that might offend the most pious out there, but I don’t think it should be out of bounds to explore religion in fiction, along with any other number of subjects that make up our humanity.

I found Good Omens, by Pratchett and Gaiman a great depiction of an (platonic) Angel - Demon relationship.

it depends on what the question is. Will some people take offence at this story. I'm sure some people will. Simply because there's always someone out there who will take offence at anything. Back when it came out, people took offence at Harry Potter for promoting witchcraft and suggested it needed to be banned. Is that a reason not to write it? Certainly not.

If the question is "will it work?" then that all comes down to the writing and worldbuilding. How different are these two beings? How different is there magic? It can work just fine. After all, Romeo and Juliette worked perfectly fine as a story.

If the question "will it give issues?" means "does it create conflict?" Then I'm sure it does. There is a lot of opportunity for conflict in this idea. Which is a good thing if you're trying to tell a story.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Just in case OP needs some reference material to give a sense of realism to their angels and demons.

Angels

Demons

These are my go-to's. They are full of names, details right out of the Apocrypha, and very inspirational. I hope this helps.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Ok, so *to me*, demons are fallen angels, in broadly generic terms, so demons represent the corrupted ‘good’, and angels are the ‘uncorrupted’, so you would have the opportunity to explore a moral grey area potentially with this character…but how many moral grey area superheroes do we know of…well, all of them! So as long as you’re ok with using this as the basis for your character then it’s a go.

On the subject of exploring religion, there would be potential to offend, but would those people be your target audience? Would they be inclined to even pick your book up and read it? Perhaps not. I’ve read plenty of books that might offend the most pious out there, but I don’t think it should be out of bounds to explore religion in fiction, along with any other number of subjects that make up our humanity.

I think finch said this very well.

Telling stories to explore things, even if they break with some sensibilities, is fair game. And I have certainly seen plenty of stories that have shown Angels and Demons in many differently lights. The idea of them mating, though...I just roll my eyes, as Quesh said, and have a feeling of 'here it comes again'. As a Christain, we are used to it. You show me reverence for the source material, and that, though outside of a Christian view, there is still something to say, I might take it up. But for me, this is an uphill sell. I am sure I do not represent any type of majority opinion on the site, but there are many who will not be favorable to it. You can avoid them. They will not likely read it anyway. Something else would have to draw them in.

Sorry...I have to answer 'No', I am not sure it is controversial, but yes, I would be asking questions that I would have little expectation
I could just create my own made up mythical race and not call them demons or angels, and just have some similar physical features?

No few of the biblical angels are downright terrifying. As to demons, despite the stigmata associated with
That's what I've heard. But if I make this fiction, I can completely make them look how I want and give them a different name? Like instead of feathered wings we see often, I used insect wings instead? There's so many animals/species out there I can base off of besides birds wings.

would put my radar up about where the writer is going with it and how they’re going to portray God and Christianity
I would make up a fictional religion, that takes inspiration from many different ones.

If you read the Apocrypha, you'll realize that angels and demons are basically the same creature, only split into two factions for so long it caused physiological changes
Exactly!

On the subject of exploring religion, there would be potential to offend, but would those people be your target audience?
That's why I'd try to avoid using real religions.

found Good Omens, by Pratchett and Gaiman a great depiction of an (platonic) Angel - Demon relationship.
I was thinking more about this one.

the question is "will it work?" then that all comes down to the writing and worldbuilding. How different are these two beings? How different is there magic? It can work just fine. After all, Romeo and Juliette worked perfectly fine as a story.

If the question "will it give issues?" means "does it create conflict?" Then I'm sure it does. There is a lot of opportunity for conflict in this idea. Which is a good thing if you're trying to tell a story.
All these reasons would be explored throughout the story.

These are my go-to's. They are full of names, details right out of the Apocrypha, and very inspirational. I hope this helps.
Thanks! Yrs it definitely does.

And I have certainly seen plenty of stories that have shown Angels and Demons in many differently lights. The idea of them mating, though...I just roll my eyes, as Quesh said, and have a feeling of 'here it comes again'. As a Christain, we are used to it.
This is why it might be safer for me to make up a mythical race and religion. Or have no religion involved at all.
Well, my wife's parents are finally cool with it.
Made me chuckle just a bit 🤣

Shh my half dragon half angelic is sensitive about how her parents managed.
Haha that's awesome. But honestly, I think that's a cool combo. Does anyone ever tell you that it sounds op? I've been told that before with my idea. Another idea I had was a werewolf/angelic hybrid, but have been told that would be one very op character as well.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Haha that's awesome. But honestly, I think that's a cool combo. Does anyone ever tell you that it sounds op? I've been told that before with my idea. Another idea I had was a werewolf/angelic hybrid, but have been told that would be one very op character as well.
Certainly overpowered, and if you want to see one in action there's always Jupiter Ascending, which I actually liked. (I also love Howard the Duck. No judgy.)

BearBear

Archmage

Writing a Mary Sue is fine by me, if it's fun for you, it will be fun for someone else. It's very common in Anime series. Not the dragon angelic thing but the op character thing.

So if someone said it sounds op, then that would depend on the story.

What about an angelic werebear?