• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Personal Top 5 Fantasy Books

Klee Shay

Troubadour
I'm going with series here rather than individual books. My top 5 are, in no particular order

The Mistborn Trilogy by: Brandon Sanderson - Very unique magical system and some fun humor. Pretty much anything by Sanderson goes on my list.

The Black Jewels Trilogy by: Anne Bishop - Lots of fantasy magic systems use jewels but her ranking system stood out to me. Jaenelle is funny as hell early on as a young girl and towards puberty.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by: Stephen R. Donaldson - All three trilogies. Although his MC's are a bit whiny and self-pitying, I love his dark style of writing.

The Codex Alera by: Jim Butcher - Lots of action, adventure, humor. Good characters (Kitai kicks a$$) and developement of the different races; Aleran, Marat, Canim and the Vord. Can't think of anything to hate here.

The Green Rider series by: Kristen Britain - Karrigan is a fun, feisty female character (I like her almost as much as Kitai) that I can't get enough of. I don't have 'Blackveil' yet, but I will soon.

An honorable mention to Elizabeth Hayden and her Symphony of Ages series; Rhapsody, Prophesy, Destiny et al. Rhapsody is another of my favorite, fiesty, female characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

sveininge

Acolyte
The Lies of Locke Lamora
An interesting debut from Scott Lynch, with lots of humor and action.

A Game of Thrones
The best book in this series so far in my opinion, although A Storm of Swords and A Clash of Kings is very close.

Gardens of the Moon
Eriksons Malazan-series is something you either love and hate, and in this series is seems to me GotM is the book who have received most hate. I've only read three books in the series so far, and actually liked GotM best. Yes, it was a little confusing in the beginning, but when I got into the story it was great. Afterwards I have re-read it several times.

The prisoner from Azkaban
It's not actually a top five book, I don't even think it is the best book in the HP-series. However it was THE top book when I read it 12-13 years old, and I still remember that feeling I had while I was racing through the last chapters to find out the truth about Sirius.

Silmarillion
My favourite book. I regularly re-read some of the best stories like Turin Turambar, Beren and Luthien and Nirnaeth Arnoeidad.