• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Physical Tics

Telcontar

Staff
Inspired partially by the thread "Cure for writer'sblockitis" (or whatever the hell it was called)

I am very well aware that I have a couple physical manifestations of 'trying to write.' I wonder if you guys do as well.

For one, I pace. This isn't actually specific to my writing, pacing is something I do when thinking hard on any subject. Not easy pacing. I will march step from one end of a room to another. It apparently unnerves a few people who've seen me do it. Don't know why. It helps me. :)

The other is talking to myself. To judge the worth of lines of dialogue, I often speak them aloud to myself. I fancy myself a decent actor, so I put emotion into it. I was once writing a heavily emotional 'battle' scene. I freaked my roommate out to no end - I hadn't even known he was home. He came in my room wondering if I was drunk (I wasn't! I'd only had a couple...)

Do any of you have these physical manifestations of the 'writing' mood?

Aegle

Minstrel
Choking game, it's drugfree and fantastic for abstract ideas.

HAH, just kidding. Seriously.

I believe walking, new scenery and different temperaments. Music. Anything that will instill emotions I'd otherwise not be manifesting during a writing spell.

Last edited:

Sevvie

Dreamer
Hmm. Interesting question!

When thinking about it, I couldn't immediately think of anything I do physically when trying to write, or get myself to think, etc. But then I realized that I split my split ends of my hair XD

Shadoe

Sage
I do the talking to myself bit as well. That seems to settle things for me.

My best trick is taking a sleeping pill, laying down, get all comfy, then stare at the ceiling. Just as I'm about to drift off, THEN the ideas come to me! So I have to struggle my way out of bed (no easy task, since it's an air mattress and I completely surround myself with pillows) and fire up the computer or try to find paper. Then the trick is staying awake long enough to get everything down.

Argentum

Troubadour
If I need ideas, I walk and listen to music. Pacing is not enough room for me, I must keep going in one direction. If I'm trying to write, sometimes I must have perfect silence, other times I play music just so that it's a background noise and I sit there staring at the computer screen.

Kaellpae

Inkling
Choking game, it's drugfree and fantastic for abstract ideas.

HAH, just kidding. Seriously.

I believe walking, new scenery and different temperaments. Music. Anything that will instill emotions I'd otherwise not be manifesting during a writing spell.

Ditto. ^^ For the last part anyway.