• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Point of View Writing

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Emotion Thesaurus

I was looking at this one. There is a ten book series? My feeling is that is too much stress, strain, anxiety, intensity...burden.... I cant seem to find the right word :unsure:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Wow...they do have 10 books. That is just one from the series....Um.... I am not sure if I will get them all. I might get one and see what I think.

WHW-Complete-Set_C.png

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
So how does one write erotica ;) :)

A lot of those are kind of internet replacable. Plenty of name websites for the book on Irish names. My book shelf is small, so I actually keep fewer of them.
With a bottle of ice wine labeled "Exposition," snacks (always snacks), and Barry Manilow. Can't do it without Barry.

Out of print is an obstacle, but not a stop sign. One of the references we needed for the current project turned out to be a pamphlet published the year before I was born. One run, maybe 500 copies.

Our youngest Lowan found one in mint condition, in a freaking wrapper, online somewhere. Kids, am I right? :D

If you find a book in that pile that you like, it's out there. Ebay, Amazon, book dealers, it could be anywhere. You have the collected knowledge of humanity at your fingertips. You can find anything.

20210828_114033.jpg

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Wow...they do have 10 books. That is just one from the series....Um.... I am not sure if I will get them all. I might get one and see what I think.

WHW-Complete-Set_C.png
Get the Emotion Thesaurus: Second Edition. That will tell you everything you need to know about how you'll use these.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
That one breaks my rule on unreadable fonts. And try finding forty four years in the life of a hunter on amazon ;) (oh...nevermind, its on there now 😬)

Anyway, Mr Browning had written something about walking in creeks to prevent damaging his feet in the winter, and I wanted to know what the heck he meant. So...I ended up buying the book. I think he cant be right about that.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
That one breaks my rule on unreadable fonts. And try finding forty four years in the life of a hunter on amazon ;) (oh...nevermind, its on there now 😬)

Anyway, Mr Browning had written something about walking in creeks to prevent damaging his feet in the winter, and I wanted to know what the heck he meant. So...I ended up buying the book. I think he cant be right about that.
Just bear in mind that educational and reference books are written by anyone who can hit the Publish button these days. Click with care. You might get an author like me! ;)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Just bear in mind that educational and reference books are written by anyone who can hit the Publish button these days. Click with care. You might get an author like me! ;)
I suspect you could write a fairly useful how to book on the craft.

Personally, I dont like books that waste my time, or say things that I dont need them to know. Like...Chapter 2, remove distractions.... Okay, brainiac, do you really think I need to be told that distractions are a problem, and I need a whole chapter on turning off Youtube and video games? I need someone with better game than that. But...maybe thats just me.

L.L. Maurizi

Troubadour
I was at first a little confused, but I guess there are struggles of all kinds. A lot of people suggested a lot of viable options so I won't burden you with more of the already mentioned suggestions.

What I could say, though, is to make the fixing of this problem an absolute priority since, in writing, changing the subject, tense, person with no purpose will make it close to impossible to follow your narrative.

On the other hand, if you're using both third and first person because the characters are both you, the storyteller, and others, then it's normal to have different persons (however, it wouldn't cause your readers to point that out).

Best of luck and keep improving!

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
So I have been writing my novel series for four years, and I have gotten feed back that I tend to write in both third and first person. I don't even know I do it, and I really don't understand what is the difference and how can I tell how to correct it?
A great book on viewpoint is Orson Scott Card 'Characters & Viewpoint'

Foxkeyes

Minstrel

WHW-Complete-Set_C.png
The Emotion Thesaurus is a handy reference book for character building. It's worth getting.

I don't know the others.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I was at first a little confused, but I guess there are struggles of all kinds. A lot of people suggested a lot of viable options so I won't burden you with more of the already mentioned suggestions.

What I could say, though, is to make the fixing of this problem an absolute priority since, in writing, changing the subject, tense, person with no purpose will make it close to impossible to follow your narrative.

On the other hand, if you're using both third and first person because the characters are both you, the storyteller, and others, then it's normal to have different persons (however, it wouldn't cause your readers to point that out).

Best of luck and keep improving!
Language is both weapon and amusement park, and you should treat it accordingly. Go ahead, have fun with tense, with viewpoint, with using all the adverbs. Fall in love with language. But~ make sure that when you come out of the dojo and are ready to hit the streets for real, that you engage in your literary gymnastics with intent and precision. Good luck and godspeed!

Malik

Auror
Without seeing a sample, it would be impossible to assess. If, for instance, you wrote:

"I opened the door. The room beyond was dark, but a darker shape lurked in the corner." The first sentence is first person. The next sentence is (technically) third person. There is no problem with this construction.

However, if it turns out the dark shape is a monster, and you start telling us what it's thinking, and seeing, and so forth--things you, as the narrator ("I") wouldn't possibly know--then you would have a legit POV issue.

Feel free to put a sample up in the Critique section.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
My library is about 5 books I actually read, though I glanced at more.

The Emotional Craft of Fiction, Maass... It's interesting but, meh.

Self-Editing for Writers, good stuff.

First 5 pages, good stuff.

Syd Field's Screenwriting, good book. I assume his Dialogue book is also good, but don't own it.

I have an Orson Scott Card book! Almost forgot... I might have red that ages ago, found it recently, and thought it blah blah blah. No doubt that would be my opinion of King's book on writing.

Hmmm, Hero of a Thousand Faces was obligatory to own... never read it. The character Anneagram, also never read, heh heh. I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two decent books.

Thesaurus books I glanced at and found to be junk, but I could see them being useful to some folks. But then, I don't use a real Thesaurus. Never really used them.

Pegzy

Scribe
The Emotion Thesaurus is a handy reference book for character building. It's worth getting.

I don't know the others.
I recently checked on character thesaurus to figure out where my new MC belonged. It was a fun exercise. I glance through some of their newsletters, but rarely read from end to end.
This is a related link

Not quite related. But this can be a useful site.

I enjoyed On Writing by Stephen King. Not so much for the writing advice perhaps, as for the personal stories in there. Some of the writing advice is good. However, it's all very directive, very black and white, which is only helpful if your process is similar to his. For instance, he has very strong opinions on plotting: never, ever do it, it will destroy the story for you. Which is great advice if you're a pantser. However, if you're like me and you can't write without an outline, then that advice ruins any chance you have of ever finishing a story.

As for Hero of a Thousand Faces, I've got it. Indeed, it's one of those you should own. I tried reading it and couldn't get past the first chapter. The guy writes sentences two paragraphs long, where I've lost what he's trying to say halfway through the sentence. It just rambles on in some spiritual sense that's just not helpful to me at all.

Pegzy

Scribe
I enjoyed On Writing by Stephen King. Not so much for the writing advice perhaps, as for the personal stories in there. Some of the writing advice is good. However, it's all very directive, very black and white, which is only helpful if your process is similar to his. For instance, he has very strong opinions on plotting: never, ever do it, it will destroy the story for you. Which is great advice if you're a pantser. However, if you're like me and you can't write without an outline, then that advice ruins any chance you have of ever finishing a story.

As for Hero of a Thousand Faces, I've got it. Indeed, it's one of those you should own. I tried reading it and couldn't get past the first chapter. The guy writes sentences two paragraphs long, where I've lost what he's trying to say halfway through the sentence. It just rambles on in some spiritual sense that's just not helpful to me at all.
Hero with a Thousand Faces. It is very instructive. If you can read the other Campbells as well. They are a gold mine of myths and legends from every corner of the world and through time. The Golden Bough could be another useful book to have by.
I do a bit of both. Sometimes I start with a clear mental outline. Sometimes it begins with an idea only and the plot happens along with writing.

JBCrowson

Troubadour
So how does one write erotica ;) :)

A lot of those are kind of internet replacable. Plenty of name websites for the book on Irish names. My book shelf is small, so I actually keep fewer of them.
How does one write erotica?
Definitely after the kids are in bed. Maybe not when the in-laws are visiting if they're the types to ask "what are you working on right now". ;)