• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Post songs that best represent your writing

Eventually, one of these days they might be right.
Very true. I'm an optimist in regard to humanity though, and I believe that whatever disasters come our way (and most likely cause), we'll be able to adapt and survive as a species. So what I took from that was the idea of adaptation, and I had the idea of a character who was afraid of the world around him and the story of a character realizing that he needs to change in order to live in this world. I suffer from avoidant personality disorder and agoraphobia, so it was pretty personal to me, and I thought that parallels were interesting enough to write a story on.

Anyway, here's another song that I think inspires my writing. It's melancholic, but really, really beautiful. The lyrics are phenomenal and paints wonderful images in my head. I don't think many can find the same beauty in it that I do but it's honestly one of my favorite songs (the lyrics are also on my signature.)

Last edited by a moderator:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We listen to very long playlists and sometimes change things up with movie soundtracks, but this song always reminds us of Seahaven, the city we write about.

RedAngel

Minstrel
I always try to find a song for each chapter that embodies the feeling I want it to have. Also that way if I come back to the chapter later the song brings me right back to when I wrote it which helps me a lot.

Nomadica

Troubadour
Very true. I'm an optimist in regard to humanity though, and I believe that whatever disasters come our way (and most likely cause), we'll be able to adapt and survive as a species. So what I took from that was the idea of adaptation, and I had the idea of a character who was afraid of the world around him and the story of a character realizing that he needs to change in order to live in this world. I suffer from avoidant personality disorder and agoraphobia, so it was pretty personal to me, and I thought that parallels were interesting enough to write a story on.
Interesting. I have claustrophobia and PTSD so I understand how fear can get in the way of life. I think a story like that could resonate with a lot of people.

Tom

Istar
We listen to very long playlists and sometimes change things up with movie soundtracks, but this song always reminds us of Seahaven, the city we write about.

Oh my god, I love that song! I turn it up every time I hear it on the radio. Reminds me of Frostbite, the vampire WIP that I've been ignoring for the last few months.

I don't really listen to music a lot when I'm writing, but Muse is one of the bands I turn to when I really need inspiration for something.

I also love the bard's songs from Dragon Age: Inquisition--this one is my favorite. Its melody is based on an old Irish song, An Gaoth Aneas ("The Wind From the South") and it has this fragile, wistful air of lost innocence that suits my main WIP. At its core, the story I'm telling is about the "lost peoples" and their suffering under imperial conquerors; this song perfectly captures that mood.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I fear you all may not like my taste in music. Most of these are too upbeat, and er... anime-ish for me.

Like many, I do listen to music when I write, but I find the songs change over time. I think I pick them more for the mood they set than the actual words, but its a plus is the words move me too. Sometimes, the words become too distracting and I have to listen to stuff without any words at all. Two soundtracks I found very good for writing are: The King Arthur soundtrack King Arthur (2004) Full Soundtrack - YouTube and the Last of the Mohigans soundtrack Movie STD - The Last of The Mohicans - Main Title - YouTube

I will say, for two of my characters, I seem to come back to these songs the most.

Possession, by Sarah McLachlan for my character, Rue, Sarah McLachlan - Possession - YouTube

and Field of Innocence by Evanescence for my character, Sami "Field Of Innocence" - Evanescence - YouTube

Last edited:

Vaporo

Inkling
Well, not much of a music person, so I don't really have a theme song for for my writing itself, but I think I have one that embodies how I feel when I'm trying to write:

Gryphos

Auror
For me it's gotta be this. The energy, the frustration, but also the optimism. It's a song I often listen to to get myself in the zone for writing — calling for the Muse, as it were. Plus Nick Cave is just generally great.

Gurkhal

Auror
I pick this one. Because it has lots of longing and I also feels trapped in regards to my writing in some ways. In fact I feel that my writing is often just beyond reach behind bars and doors due to my other commitments that can't let go off, and so I sometimes wonde if I actually want to really write in the first place.

Ja Nus Hons Pris by Owain Phyfe - YouTube

And I'll also put in this, because I really love to write regardless of how seldom it is nowadays and its how I feel about my, almost non-existant, writing.

Annwn- douce dame jolie machaut - YouTube

Last edited:
This is a song that stylistically matches my writing. It's sort of 'dark country' and tells the story of a murder. Some might recognize this as the theme from the television series True Detective

Hi,

Don't know how to post a song here, but the one that sums up my writing life? - Wayward Son - Kansas

Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

Ah

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion
I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high

Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
I hear the voices when I'm dreaming,
I can hear them say