• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Postapocalyptic World? Input needed

halfdan

Scribe
Sorry for my bad english. I need aome input on my toughts/ideas..

World: Earthlike Planet

Habitants:

Race of Natural"Spirits", Hive minded through a Network (Trees?)when they die or getting old, they integrate themself in the councisness mind.
Also able to integrate other species.
Maybe also using human blood to feed it.

In actual times very low population, not able to reproduce/dying out.

Magic is telekinese through mutation.

The Maindiscussionpoint is this:
Im thinking about, that Human settelt on the Planet and startet war with another race who used nuclearbombs and the humans used biologic weapons.

Followed by a nuclear winter, all technology perished and the world is again in the bronzeage..thousand years later, they are still in a technologystandpoint of the dark ages.
There are monsters like Dragons and other mythicalbeats. (Maybe mutations or part of the biological warfare)

An other Scenario:
Most Stuff the same, but without the highly evolved Humans. Still better than dark Ages but not that far.
World has 2 Moons and an asteroid crashes one of them and then most of the Material crashes in the earth.
This also causes an nuclear Winter.
How can Humans survive? Would they get wiped out, if they are on surface? Would some survive and after this they live under the earth for some years?
What would be the effect on the World? Vegetation etc. Changes trough loosing 1 Moon?
I think in this scenario, i need "real" Magic for casting spells/Monsters etc?

Other Ideas?

Simulacrum

Dreamer
If a planet has two moons and one is destroyed, it will impact the planet’s orbit. How much the orbit is impacted depends on how large the moon is, the position of the planet’s orbit around its home star and other factors. You’d have to do the math and figure out if the planet could still be habitable.

But suffice to say if our own moon were destroyed we’d all die. Don’t quote me on this, but I believe it would through us completely off of it and out of the “Goldilocks” habitable zone. There are legit articles about this that you can use for research.

Alternately you can pull a GRRM and ignore that sort of thing, leaving it ambiguous.

My second observation is that the best worlds have histories, and you’ve sketched out yours, but what about artifacts from the technological age before the nuclear war? That could be a lot of fun for you and your readers, and it helps add an extra layer of realism, especially if the readers recognize an object but a character does not.