• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

POV Shifts: How Many Can You Tolerate?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I liked Game of Thrones as well. The pacing didn't bother me, because whether there was 'action' or not at any given time, I still found it interesting. I agree, Butterfly, that the books came out far enough apart (particularly the last couple) that I started to forget exactly what was going on.

danr62

Sage
The only time when I like frequent POV shifting is during a climatic event like a battle and you are jumping from one part of the battle to another to keep the pacing going.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I would wager to say that Ankari may be inspired a bit by Steve Erikson (as am I) who tends to change POVs rather quickly. I think this can be done if your scenes are packed with good stuff. I think as many POVs that keep the story interesting, then that's all that matters, like others have said. If your reader doesn't really connect with your characters, then they may grow frustrated that you're shifting so many times so they don't get a chance to connect. Figure out a way for each of your characters to connect to the reader in some way, then the POV shifts will serve as "mini-cliffhangers."

Last edited:

TWErvin2

Auror
There is nothing wrong with multiple POVs, and as others have stated, if it's done well.

I would add that while it's fine to have multiple POVs, I believe the author should restrict the number to those absolutely needed to tell the story.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I'll echo some things. Use as many POVs as you like, but make sure each of them is actually doing something when you include them, advancing the plot or their plot. And watch out for overlapping that adds no new information.

I've read things where each chapter had 3 pov scenes, one for each main character. But at most only two of the scenes were really doing any real work, and most of the time it was only one. So in theory at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the book was dead weight.

Lawfire

Sage
I want to stress that I do it often. A majority of the chapters will have at least 2 POVs. Each POV change is clearly marked and the reader will know who the POV is within a paragraph or two. Are we still on the same boat?

As long as it is clear, I am with you. I prefer a story told from multiple POVs, in general. As long as each POV is needed to tell the story, the total number does not bother me.

Multiple breaks could allow a reader more good places to stop and put the book down. However, if done well, the reader may "just one more" themselves all night long.

Wynnara

Minstrel
I would wager to say that Ankari may be inspired a bit by Steve Erikson (as am I) who tends to change POVs rather quickly. I think this can be done if your scenes are packed with good stuff. I think as many POVs that keep the story interesting, then that's all that matters, like others have said. If your reader doesn't really connect with your characters, then they may grow frustrated that you're shifting so many times so they don't get a chance to connect. Figure out a way for each of your characters to connect to the reader in some way, then the POV shifts will serve as "mini-cliffhangers."

I'm going to echo this sentiment as well. It really comes down to how invested I am in the characters. If I'm really invested, I can probably tolerate a dozen POV changes. If I don't care, then even two or three is going to bore me.

The way I'm working it in my own novel is that I have the MC POV that acts as a central thread. When I switch POV's it is to people that the MC has crossed paths with already but who have moved on geographically to other parts of the story that I, as the author, need the reader to see. In a way, I'm allowing the character investment in the MC carry some of the weight of these other POVs.

But again, that's just how I'm working it. I'm personally not a big fan of books like Game of Thrones as I feel there are too many characters to really get the kind of emotional investment that I'm after.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Multiple breaks could allow a reader more good places to stop and put the book down. However, if done well, the reader may "just one more" themselves all night long.

I think this is what I need to work on; the hook. I'll be revising my chapters to see where I can make enough changes to add the hooks.

Thanks!